Organizing Coupons

January 2, 2011

Organizing Coupons

Here are some common household items you can use to help keep your coupons organized.

1. Paper Clips: Easy for the cashier to handle at the check out.
  2. Envelope: Take a junk mail envelope and stick it to the fridge with a magnet. Put coupons you want to redeem the next time you go to the store in it and your list on the envelope.
  3. Note Card Box: A note card box works well. Many have A to Z dividers. I see these a lot at garage sales.
  4. Old Check Book: Easy to carry with you and convenient at the check out.
  5. Accordion File: They make accordion-style files for cancelled checks that work well for coupons. You can sort them by aisle or the month that they expire.
  6. Clothespin: Works well for keeping the coupons together while you shop.

Budget Savvy Diva’s – Method:

If you get the sheets used for baseball cards, you can just fold the coupon and slip it into a pocket – you won’t have to tape the coupons to sheet protectors. The baseball card sheets are already hole- punched so you can fit them in a notebook. Then you can use tabbed dividers to separate the sheets into categories.

Andrea April 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for posting this! ;0) I have a legal size acordian file, but haven’t fell in love with it. I love your idea on the baseball card protector sheepts!! Brilliant!!

Pamela Medaglia April 26, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Where do I get the sheets for baseball cards? I looked at Walmart but they didn’t have any unless I was looking in the wrong section. I really want to do it that way, I think it would be so much easier.

Barbara July 13, 2011 at 3:55 am

I was on ebay last nite and their was a lot to chose from.

Aziza August 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm

They have the baseball protector sheets, at Walmart, Target, and Kmart. And they are located in the area, where the baseball, and trading cards are. This is usually on an endcap in the toy section, or on the last aisle of registers at the front of the store.

Marty April 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

Try eBay.

Heather May 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I purchased my baseball card holders at Target in the game/toy section. I also purchased a binder that has a couple of pouches to hold full size sheet papers…one zipper pocket to hold scissors, pens, etc. …2-3 card holder for store discount cards or debit card.

My coupon adventure started a couple years ago when I went to a friends house for a girls night out. She had a friend come and show us all how to save by cutting coupons. She gave us a print out on how to organize a binder, coupons, where to get coupons, and blogs to help us find deals. She also gave us coupons for free products, played a guessing game, and was selling these reuseable sandwich/snack bags that she made.

We all had a great time…the nice thing about the whole evening is she was not getting paid for showing us, she shared her ideas that really encourage me to find those great deals, and there was no pressure to buy her products. I love her invention and bought sandwich and snack bags for my girls for their lunches at school.

Heather

Misty Williams May 21, 2011 at 7:38 am

@ Pamela I got mine at Walmart today. They are with the “as seen on TV” stuff by the registers. It was $5 for 25 and they are ok quality. If you print more coupons than clip I also got currency holders and a local shop that deals in coins and cards. Hope this helps :)

Jessica Tuck June 16, 2011 at 7:24 am

Great ideas, but what categories do you use to organize the coupons? do you do the Store-specific ones in one section and then by category? I shop at our commissary at least 2-4 times a month, so I know the layout very well, should I put them in order of the products on the aisles? Eek, I’m so overwhelmed! lol

Rebeca June 28, 2011 at 12:21 am

That is my problem I am very overwhelmed by the whole thing. It is like everyone else gets it but me so I am so nervous.I feel like I will mess it up or something. I am also wondering how to categorize the different items.

jennifer October 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm

u r not alone lol. im still trying to figure out how i should organize mine. lol. i put them by date expire but i dont know cause im still confused on what i have lol

Sara November 5, 2011 at 3:22 am

I separate my binder into sections… such as * staples/ under this catoglory I have a page or two (depending on how items I have) for condiments, a page for canned items.. etc. then a cataglory for snacks… a page for crackers, one for cookies, another for candy/gum, one for popcorn, chips and nuts… then a section for refrigerated… dairy, meats, one for frozen.. you get the picture. Hope this helps. :) have fun!

Julie Bottchen March 10, 2012 at 6:19 am

I got my baseball card protectors at walmart for a couple of bucks, but mine were labeled business card colders. They work great. They were in the stationary department.