Craft: Chalkboard Wine Glasses and Platter

January 16, 2012

If You Like it the PIN IT on Pinterest

This is SUCH an easy craft and frugal as well – I found people on Etsy selling the same wine glasses for $18!

I found out when I decided to do this craft that my husband and I are wine glass hoarders. I think it is  because of a mix between great deals on wine glasses and my fear that they will all break.

Now on with the craft. I decided not only to paint some wine glasses but also a platter that we have on hand – which was perfect for a wine/ cheese tasting date I planned.

I found the chalkboard paint at Walmart in the craft section for about $3.00 and I only used about 1/4 on this project. This project took about 30 minutes of actual painting and cost about $1.00 – does it get better then that.

What to do -

Paint the area on the plates or glasses you want to make a chalkboard. You will need to do at least 2 coats – you will have to wait at least 30 minutes after each coat. You will have to let the paint cure for 8 hours. Then you will have to lightly rub chalk on the chalkboard – wipe it off and you are DONE!

Finished product!

Not to shabby ;)

Just think having chalkboard wine glasses for parties!

And of course the cheese platter in action!

Jennifer January 16, 2012 at 1:26 am

LOVE THIS! :)

Tammy @ LoveMy2Dogs January 18, 2012 at 2:41 am

This is funny that you did this because I just saw the chalkboard glassware on The View right before Christmas and loved it, however it’s very expensive. I love this idea. Thanks!!!

Emily B. January 18, 2012 at 3:01 am

Does it come off when everything is washed?

samantha horgan May 15, 2012 at 1:05 am

yes, I have done them. They looked amazing when done, but when you hand wash them (can’t go in the dishwasher) they paint peeled off. I bought a top coat but havent tried it yet, I am not sure if once you spray it will you be able to write with chalk?

RANDE SNYDER May 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I’m no expert, but I BELIEVE that chalk paint might adhere better if one was to use etching creme on the parts of the glass before applying it. That will dull the surface (it will look frosted), but it might stick better than when painted on a shiny surface.

Shane Helsel October 23, 2012 at 3:47 am

I have to agree with Rande. Glass is hard to get paint to stick to roughing the surface with either etch cream or an abrasive may help. Ehow recommends scuffing with find grit sand paper. I found another article that recommends spray on paint that lists glass as a useable medium. Author claims to use 5-10 light coats.

Christine M. November 16, 2012 at 6:52 am

I use Pebeo Porcelaine 150 Chalkboard Paint. You cure it in the oven. Regular chalkboard paint may not be food safe.