Budget Savvy Diva’s Day Date That Cost ONLY $.92

July 17, 2012

There is one thing that I firmly believe and it is that you do not need to spend a ton of money to have a great time. It really is about spending the time with someone you love.

I try my best to set up activities with my husband and myself that are fun and frugal :)

Last week when I found out that Eric ( aka Mr.Savvy aka Husband aka Hubster) had never been to a U-Pick farm – I knew what are next day date was.

U-Pick farm is when there is a farm where you pick your own produce and pay for what you pick.

Nothing taste better then produce you pick yourself.

Being new to the area – I started talking to the locals about where to go. All of them told me that the best was Hoffman Farms ( in Beaverton, OR)

Can you believe it was only 4 miles away from where we live

We went into their cute store and picked up our buckets – today it was blueberries available for picking.

Okay picking time :) Such a perfect day to be outside

Mr.Savvy was like a little kid and searched for the best berries :) All those are blueberry plants — all ripe for the picking

Love the following shot

I picked up a flower along the way :)

After getting our fill of picking – we went to pay for our berries — it only cost $.92 ( + 4 miles worth of gas in my little red Versa ;) )  !!!

Yep the whole experience cost us less than a dollar!

Here is the recipe I made from our pickings :)

Homemade Blueberry Syrup Recipe

This was not sponsored or anything silly like that. I just wanted to show y’all how amazing a frugal date can be

erica July 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Fun!

Kelli July 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm

That looks like so much fun!!! My hubby and I will have to do the same, at a place similar to that close to where we live. Thanks for the post! :-)

Kandace July 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm

My mom took us as kids every summer. It was always fun. Ours also had a petting zoo and icecream.

Amanda July 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm

How was it only 92 cents? You must have gotten barely anything. Usually when people go to pick their own fruit, say blueberries, they will get many pints, not just a handful. That seems a bit like a waste of time. Or perhaps it’s just a heck of a lot cheaper around your way!

Budget Savvy Diva July 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

We were about to get 3 cups :) Unless you have HUGE hands that would be more then one handful ;)

Amanda July 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Then you have MUCH cheaper prices in Oregon. How much is a pint at the supermarket? Here it’s maybe $2.99 if it’s on sale. I haven’t picked my own fruit in a long, long time, but I know it’s not cheap to do that. I believe it’s actually cheaper to just buy it at a store. But I understand people do this for the experience so it’s worth it once in a while.

Budget Savvy Diva July 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm

MUCH cheaper here.

Melissa August 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Picking your own fruit is more often than not the cheapest possible way to get it. Think about the extra costs incurred just to get the berries to the store (not taking into account growing costs): first, they have to be picked, then sorted in a packing facility, packed into clamshells, clamshells packed into boxes, onto pallets, cooled, put on a truck/plane/ship, unloaded into a warehouse and distributed to individual stores (another truck ride), where they are finally displayed for the consumer to purchase. If you pick your own, you are cutting out all of the extra hands and labor required to ship your fruit to the local grocery store.

Jen July 17, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I think some of you got sidetracked by the price of blueberries. Even if that lot of blueberries cost $20, it would still not be a waste of time because it’s more about making memories than anything. Good for you two and thanks for sharing. I need to get back to basics with the whole day date/ date night thing. Seriously, some of the happiest memories of my life including with my husband were when we did things together that cost virtually nothing (walks, cleaning out a grandmother’s attic together, laser tag, etc.). :D

Linda M July 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Interesting… not my idea of a day date but to each his own, I would try it just for the experience….would love to take my grandkids along b/c I like to expose them to all types of good experiences. Thank You. (P.S. Where did you get those great sunglasses? I LOVE them!)

john July 18, 2012 at 12:53 am

That’s so cheap. You probably ate more than what you’ve paid. Those people probably go out of business because of people like you. Being a Savvy is good but ripping off people is bad. You could have bought just a little more to support local business.

Budget Savvy Diva July 18, 2012 at 1:16 am

We bought what we needed :) I would hate to buy a TON then have it go to waste… I had a particular recipe in mind ( Blueberry syrup )

Bethany G June 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I like to pick lots and freeze what I can’t use. Or make extras and freeze the finished product! Can’t wait for the Upick season here in Maine!!

Mallory July 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I don’t see how that’s ripping anyone off. It’s not your fault the blueberries were so cheap. Haters are gonna hate! Sounds like a great idea.. I’ll have to see if we have a place like that in my area. Thanks for sharing!

Budget Savvy Diva July 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Thanks :) I think we might of picked more if we were not so picky in what we picked :)

september_night_rain July 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Why do people have to be so rude? I have worked at a blueberry farm every summer since my husbands Aunt owns one. She sells u pick blueberry’s for $2 a pound. So if you ONLY pick 1/2 a pound its ONLY going to be $1. It looks like a fun date and her and her husband look like they had a fun time. There is no need to be rude. We are all grown up.

Budget Savvy Diva July 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I totally agree :) It was 1.50 per pound where we went

Sherry July 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Too fun! Love the photos!

Budget Savvy Diva July 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Thanks :)

Heather Forrester July 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I just took my daughter blueberry picking over the weekend and it was 1.75 lb. much much cheaper than in the store. we got almost 4lb of blueberries!

Budget Savvy Diva July 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Sweet!!!

Rebecca H July 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I love blueberry picking, a lot better than strawberries!
I took my daughter the other day, she’s 16. We picked 5 lbs. They are gone now! We made blueberry sauce for pancakes, yum!
My 20 yo took her boyfriend and her brothers today. They picked a little over 7 lbs. Can’t wait to make something with those, if they don’t eat them all before I have time.
We paid $1.50 lb. Great deal.
Doesn’t matter how many you pick as long as you enjoy them and not waste them! And have fun doing it with people you love! Great photos :)

Missa July 19, 2012 at 12:52 am

I love this idea!

kelly mcgrew March 1, 2014 at 7:52 pm

cute! where i live they have apple picking! may have to go do that for something different!