Moving Tips 101 For Daddies With Extra Vehicles & Motorcycles
Moving to a new home is a significant event in the life of any family. However, for those with extra vehicles, such as cars, motorcycles, ATVs, or even boats, the logistics of the move can become more complicated. When you’re a dad, the stresses compound even further. Fortunately, there are several tips and tricks to help daddies with extra vehicles and motorcycles have a successful move. In this article, we will explore some of the best ways to transport your extra vehicles and motorcycles during a move.
1. Evaluate Your Transportation Needs Before Moving
When evaluating your transportation needs before moving, it is important to consider the number and types of vehicles you have. Cars and motorcycles are the most common vehicles that families have, but if you own ATVs, snowmobiles, or boats, you will need to factor them in as well. Each vehicle may require specific transportation needs, such as a covered trailer for a boat or specialized equipment to safely transport an ATV.
It’s important to consider the distance and route of the move when deciding which vehicles to take. For longer moves, it may be more practical to ship the vehicles to your new home, rather than drive them. However, for shorter moves, driving the vehicles yourself may be a more cost-effective option. It’s important to also consider any terrain or weather conditions that may affect your ability to transport your vehicles safely. For example, if you’re moving to an area with heavy snowfall, you’ll need to take precautions to ensure that your vehicles are equipped to handle the conditions.
Another factor to consider is the size and capacity of your vehicles. Moving trucks and trailers come in different sizes and weight capacities, and it’s important to choose the appropriate size and weight capacity for the vehicles you’ll be transporting. Overloading a trailer or moving a truck can be dangerous and cause damage to your vehicles. It’s also important to consider how many trips you’ll need to make to transport all of your vehicles and whether it makes more sense to transport them all at once or in separate trips.
2. Look Into Shipping Services For Your Vehicles & Motorcycles
Looking into shipping services for your vehicles and motorcycles can be a great option for families with extra vehicles who want a more hands-off approach to moving. There are several companies that specialize in vehicle shipping services, and they can transport your vehicles and motorcycles directly to your new home. This can be a convenient option if you don’t have the time or resources to transport your vehicles yourself.
When choosing a shipping company, it’s important to do your research and find a reputable company with good reviews. Look for companies that specialize in the type of vehicles you’re transporting, such as cars, motorcycles, or boats. Be sure to get quotes from multiple companies and compare the costs and services they offer. Some companies may offer door-to-door service, while others may only offer terminal-to-terminal service, where you’ll need to drop off and pick up your vehicles at specific locations.
According to Montway, one of the motorcycle shipping companies available to dads like you,
“There are many factors that impact motorcycle shipping costs including distance, motorcycle type (Harley Davidson, trike, supersport, etc.), property value, residential locations vs. distribution centers and required delivery timelines.”
Shipping your vehicles can be more expensive than transporting them yourself, but it may be worth the cost if you want to avoid the hassle and potential risks of driving them yourself. Remember that some damages sustained by your vehicle when being transported by yourself, may not be covered by your private insurance. It may be worth paying for transport if you want peace of mind that your assets are insured every step of the move.
Overall, shipping your vehicles and motorcycles can be a convenient option for families with extra vehicles who want to simplify the moving process. By doing your research and choosing a reputable shipping company, you can ensure that your vehicles arrive safely and securely at your new home.
3. DIY: Renting A Trailer Or Moving Truck To Relocate Vehicles & Motorcycles
Renting a trailer or moving truck to transport your vehicles and motorcycles during a move is a cost-effective option for families who want to save money on car shipping to another state. However, it does require more effort on your part to securely tie down your vehicles and motorcycles during transport. Here are some tips to help ensure that your vehicles and motorcycles arrive safely at your new home.
- Choose the appropriate trailer or moving truck size: When renting a trailer or moving truck, be sure to choose the appropriate size for the number and types of vehicles you’ll be transporting. A trailer or moving truck that’s too small can be dangerous and damage your vehicles, while one that’s too large can be difficult to maneuver.
- Securely tie down your vehicles and motorcycles: It’s important to properly secure your vehicles and motorcycles during transport to prevent damage and ensure they don’t shift during transit. Use tie-down straps and ropes to secure the vehicles and motorcycles to the trailer or moving truck. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for securing each vehicle or motorcycle, and use additional straps and padding as needed.
- Protect your vehicles and motorcycles during transport: Cover your vehicles and motorcycles with tarps or other protective materials to prevent scratches and damage during transport. Additionally, you can remove any loose parts or accessories, such as mirrors or antennae, to prevent them from being damaged during transport.
- Take breaks and stay hydrated: Driving a moving truck or towing a trailer can be exhausting, so be sure to take breaks and stay hydrated during transport. Stop every few hours to stretch your legs and take a break from driving. Bring plenty of water and snacks to keep you energized during the move.
Overall, renting a trailer or moving truck can be a cost-effective option for families with extra vehicles and motorcycles. By following these tips and properly securing your vehicles and motorcycles, you can ensure a safe and successful move to your new home.
4. Remaining Legally Compliant And Safe When Transporting Vehicles To Another State
Transporting vehicles and motorcycles to another state requires careful planning to ensure that you remain legally compliant and safe during the move. Here are some tips to help you transport your vehicles and motorcycles across state lines:
- Research state-specific regulations: Each state has its own laws and regulations regarding vehicle and motorcycle transportation, so it’s important to research the laws of the states you’ll be traveling through. For example, some states require commercial registration and licensing for certain types of vehicles, while others have specific requirements for the types of trailers and tie-downs that must be used.
- Obtain necessary permits and paperwork: Depending on the type and size of the vehicles you’ll be transporting, you may need to obtain permits and paperwork from the Department of Transportation or other state agencies. Be sure to obtain any necessary permits and paperwork well in advance of your move to avoid delays or fines.
- Use a reputable shipping company: If you’re using a shipping company to transport your vehicles and motorcycles, be sure to choose a reputable company with experience in interstate transport. Check the company’s ratings and reviews, and ask for proof of insurance and licensing. Additionally, be sure to carefully review the shipping contract and any additional fees or charges.
Overall, transporting vehicles and motorcycles to another state requires careful planning and preparation. By researching state-specific regulations, obtaining necessary permits and paperwork, and using a reputable shipping company, you can ensure that your move is both legally compliant and safe.
Moving with extra vehicles and motorcycles can add an extra layer of complexity to the moving process, but with proper planning and preparation, it doesn’t have to be stressful. By evaluating your transportation needs, looking into shipping services, renting a trailer or moving truck, and remaining legally compliant and safe during transport, you can ensure a successful move for you and your vehicles.
Remember to research your options and choose the best method for your specific situation. Whether you choose to ship your vehicles or transport them yourself, take the necessary steps to properly secure them during transport and protect them from damage. Moving is always a big undertaking for families, but with these tips, daddies with extra vehicles and motorcycles can simplify the process and make their move a success for everyone.