Are you and your little ones looking for a fun activity to do on a rainy day? Why not make some homemade play dough together? It’s easy, inexpensive, and provides hours of entertainment. And the best part is that you can customize the color and scent to your liking. Here’s how to make soft and pliable play dough at home:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Food coloring (optional)
- Essential oils or extracts (optional)
Step 1: Combine dry ingredients In a medium-sized pot, combine the flour, salt, and cream of tartar. Give it a quick stir with a whisk or a spoon.
Step 2: Add wet ingredients Add the water and vegetable oil to the pot and stir until the mixture is smooth.
Step 3: Cook the dough Place the pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir the mixture continuously until it thickens and forms a ball. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
Step 4: Add color and scent (optional) If you want to add color to your play dough, now is the time to do so. Simply add a few drops of food coloring to the pot and stir until the color is evenly distributed. You can also add a few drops of essential oils or extracts to give the play dough a pleasant scent.
Step 5: Knead the dough Once the play dough has cooled down a bit, turn it out onto a clean surface and knead it with your hands until it becomes soft and pliable. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
Step 6: Store the play dough Store your play dough in an airtight container or a ziplock bag. It will keep for a few weeks if stored properly.
Tips and Tricks:
- If your play dough is too dry, add a bit more water. If it’s too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- To make multiple colors of play dough, simply divide the dough into smaller portions and add a different color to each portion.
- You can also use natural food dyes to color your play dough, such as beet juice, turmeric, or spinach powder.
- To make scented play dough, use essential oils or extracts that are safe for kids, such as lavender, peppermint, or vanilla.
- To make your play dough last longer, store it in the fridge.
Making homemade play dough is a great way to spend quality time with your kids while also encouraging their creativity and imagination. Plus, it’s a fun sensory activity that can help with their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. So what are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and get ready to make some play dough magic! For more reading “The Ultimate Play Dough Recipe Guide” by The Artful Parent.