Things to consider when Choosing Your Moissanite engagement rings
We all love diamonds. However, their cost and sustainability make most of us consider alternatives like moissanite for jewelry. Well, this is still a good choice considering the quality that comes with moissanite. If you are looking for diamond options, then moissanite engagement rings are a perfect alternative. Moissanite resembles a diamond but it is good to appreciate that it is not a diamond.
If you cannot afford to buy diamonds, moissanite will get you covered. This gem is beautiful, affordable and sustainable. Therefore, you will be getting good-quality stones at a very affordable price. However, you have to make sure you have the right moissanite stone to enjoy all these benefits. For that reason, there are some things to consider to get the best moissanite engagement rings in the market today.
Moissanite vs Diamond Comparisons
Many people ask whether moissanite is a real diamond. Well, it is important to get a clear understanding even before you consider picking this precious gem for your engagement rings. Even though these gems appear the same, they are not the same. Moissanite is a gem on its own. By composition, moissanite is Silicon Carbide whereas diamond is mainly carbon.
Owing to the varying composition of each stone means that the two stones have different physical and chemical properties. For that reason, moissanite will sparkle differently from diamond and exhibit a different hardness value from that of moissanite. Here are basic properties to compare between these two gemstones:
- Hardness: On the Mohs scale of hardness, moissanite scores a 9.25, which is slightly lower than diamond, which is a 10. From the basic comparison here, diamond is harder than moissanite. However, it is not much of a significant difference considering their close values of hardness and affordability of moissanite.
- Ease of Cleaning: Jewelry cleaning is important to retain their glow and beauty. In this case, moissanite is most preferable because it repels oil and dirt better than a diamond. This quality is due to the carbon silicate composition compared to that of carbon in a diamond.
In this case, it means that your moissanite engagement rings will maintain their glow for a longer time than diamond options in between cleaning sessions.
- Shapes and Sizes: If you are looking for unique and custom shapes for your gemstone, moissanite is a good deal. It is mostly synthetic and therefore, it is available in different shapes and sizes. This is not the case with diamonds because their general look depends on the earth that grows them.
Moissanite will give you more flexibility in your ring design. You can cut it in any shape and get the ring center stone you want.
- Sustainability and Affordability: Most of the moissanite you will find in the market are man-made. Therefore, it is a sustainable option and for that reason, more affordable than a mined diamond. Therefore, choosing moissanite engagement rings will save you more money than buying a diamond.
There are Different Grades of Moissanite
Even though moissanite is a cheaper alternative to diamond, choosing the different grades will attract different prices. Therefore, it is important to take note of the grade you are picking for your engagement ring.
You will find three different grades of moissanite in the market. They include:
- Classic Moissanite. This is the yellowish-green shade. It was the initial grade made in the lab when moissanite was first discovered. This moissanite grade is will fetch the lowest price in the market.
- Forever one near-colorless Moissanite. In the search for good diamond alternatives, experts succeeded in making an almost colorless version. For that reason, the quality improved. Therefore, the price became much higher than that of classic moissanite.
- Forever one colorless Moissanite. This is the high-grade moissanite available in the market. Most importantly, it is more gorgeous than the rest of the moissanite engagement rings on sale today. As expected, it costs more but is not the same as a diamond.
Moissanite is a great diamond alternative. However, you must take the time to study what it offers before buying your moissanite engagement rings. That way, you will stand a good chance of making the most out of your purchase.