Crock Pot Caramel Recipe

January 21, 2012

Crock Pot Caramel Recipe

Pin It

If you like this recipe then PIN IT on Pinterest

Words cannot describe how amazing this recipe is… Seriously you MUST try this. When I told Mr.Savvy about this recipe he bet me $1.00 that it would not work much less taste good – well this Budget Savvy Diva is one dollar richer ;) Not only will you get caramel it will melt your knees. So if you could only try one of my recipes this is the one to try.

What you need:

1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk

Apple ( If you want – totally feel free to eat this caramel out of the can ;) )

What To Do

Take out that crock pot – you can to this recipe on the stove top.

It is important to use either a saucer or a little bowl like I did  – so the can does not leave a rust ring on the bottom of your crockpot.

Put the crock pot on low for 8 hours :)

Open the can – stir

and enjoy!

( I cut up a granny smith apple to go with the caramel…. SO GOOD!)

Crock Pot Caramel Recipe

Crock Pot Caramel

: Dessert

MOST AMAZING Caramel EVER!
Ingredients
  • 1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
Instructions
  1. Take out that crock pot – you can to this recipe on the stove top.
  2. It is important to use either a saucer or a little bowl like I did – so the can does not leave a rust ring on the bottom of your crockpot.
  3. Once the can is in place fill up the crock pot with water till it covers the top of the can.
  4. Put the crock pot on low for 8 hours :)
  5. With tongs take the can out of the water and let sit for 30 minutes ( it is going to be plenty hot)
  6. Open the can – stir
  7. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I got the recipe from Worth The Wisk

Other recipes you'll love:

Melinda Ledbetter January 21, 2012 at 1:16 am

We used to make this when I was a kid. Boiled it on the stove for 3 hours making sure to keep the can covered. Them mom read somewhere not to do that as the can could explode. I have been dying for this – we used it as ice cream topping, too.

Virginia January 21, 2012 at 1:58 am

I am definitely going to try this. Thanks.

jessica west January 21, 2012 at 2:01 am

sounds so yummy….and like a bit of a science experiment. :) will have to try!

Ciara Connell January 21, 2012 at 2:41 am

I’m a little worried about the coating inside of the can

Tracy January 21, 2012 at 3:28 am

If you want something really good. I make this every year and everyone loves it. Take 3 cans and I boil it in a pot on the stove with water to the rim, I boil them for 3 hours and then let them cool for 30 minutes to an hour until the cans are cool enough to touch, open them and pour into a graham cracker pie crust and chill for a couple of hours. You can also drizzle chocolate over the top. It is sooo yummy. I haven’t tried it but cutting up some granny smith apples and putting around the edges would be good too.

Vicki January 29, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Now THAT sounds just amazing! I am so trying it!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Angi July 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I just saw a recipe using graham cracker crust, 3 bananas and this caramel covered with cool whip…yummiy!

Clf August 17, 2012 at 4:04 am

^^^ We have a favorite restaurant that serves exactly what you’re describing (except real whipped cream, not Cool Whip). It’s called banoffee pie and it’s amaaaaazing!

Valerie Zitzman January 21, 2012 at 3:36 am

Can you use the non-fat version of the canned milk?

Tracy February 28, 2013 at 5:26 pm

You can use the low fat sweetened condensed milk. I just made some last month. It’s just as good… with a little less guilt. :)

Cressa Moran January 21, 2012 at 3:42 am

I have never tried this but have seen in made for dulce de leche before.

Kelly January 21, 2012 at 3:48 am

you mean to tell me, just the condensed milk will turn to caramel after being in the crock pot? Nothing else is added?

Budget Savvy Diva January 21, 2012 at 3:49 am

Geri's Super Saving Tips January 21, 2012 at 7:11 am

How awesome is that! I wonder which “saucer” I will use when I make some. That is the coolest idea, thank you so much for sharing.

Kim January 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

The only way I make caramel! My mother use to say wanna see some magic? LOL kids, we were so gullible. Wanna really impress your kids make jiffy pop! My nephews and nieces love seeing the silver dome. They are so use to the microwave stuff they had no clue popcorn can pop on the stove top. hehe

Jessica March 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I’d love my make my kids some jiffy pop but its sooooooo expensive. I will one day but we are on a budget! haha.

Pam January 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm

You can also buy at some grocery stores in the ethnic aisle cans of Dulce de leche. It is the sweetened condensed milk already cooked for you… Wonderful caramel to make it runny you will need to warm it up tho.

Cherie Corey January 21, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I cannot wait to try this!!! Wouldllove to share on my website..

Budget Savvy Diva January 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

you can – please link back though

Amy January 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’m making this today! I read that you can pour the condensed milk into an empty mason jar and cook it that way so you don’t have to worry about the rust or the coating of the can! Will be a great snack for the kids (and myself) hope it turns out okay!

Bev February 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm

If you do it on the stove how long?

bethlaf February 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm

we do this on the stove all the time kids call it DANGER PUDDING , since yes there is a chance can could explode, why the cans are all labeled “do not boil heat unopened can” , promise, look on the can for it !!

but crock pot, wow, i never thought of it !!
AWESOME thanks love!

Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I make it on the top of the stove & pour in graham cracker crust . But i think it would be so much easier & safer in the crock pot . I am going to try that . Thanks for the tip .

Budget Savvy Diva February 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm

No problem – enjoy :)

rijl February 28, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I pour the caramel into a graham cracker crust lined with sliced bananas, top with sweetened whipped cream, sprinkle
with toasted pecans-so good!

Ronny March 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

When you cook it in the crock pot do you put the crocpot lid on like you do when you cook other things?
Also if you pour it in a mason jar I guess you would put a metal lid and ring on that and then the crockpot lid?

I have never heard of doing this before so when I find out about the lid I am going to try it. Thanks

Budget Savvy Diva March 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

You put the lid on. I do not know if it would still work if you used a mason jar.

Ronny March 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I forgot to ask, how long can you keep this caramel assuming left overs are
kept in the frige? There are just two of us so know it would take awhile to eat.

Budget Savvy Diva March 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I would put that in a mason jar :)

Ronny March 20, 2012 at 5:14 am

Yes, but that doesn’t tell me how long it is safe to eat before I need to throw it out, -2 days? a week? a month? Anybody know?

Budget Savvy Diva March 20, 2012 at 5:21 am

I know people who do not open it and keep it in their pantry. If you do open it I would say a day or two.

Kefi November 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

How long will it keep in the pantry?

ashley bowers knight March 20, 2012 at 4:02 am

Sounds soo yummy but I am soo scared that my bowls will crack in the crock pot doing this… What kind of bowl did you use a glass, ceramic or plastic? I am Def. going to try it…

Budget Savvy Diva March 20, 2012 at 4:53 am

I used a ceramic bowl…. I know a saucer would work as well… I hope this helps.

Jennifer C April 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Just tried this and its AMAZING! My boyfriend and my daughter loves it. :)

Kathy May 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Tried this last nite, I was worried about the whole blowing up thing so I made two changes. I opened the can and covered the top with foil. Then I put water only about half up the side of the can. Then cooked it in the crockpot for the 8 to 9 hours on low. Worked great and I was able to sleep!

Mommax2 June 6, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Ok question… what is the consistancy of this caramel once cool to room temp..is it a thin sauce…or a thick sauce, or semi solid? thanks…sounds yummy. love all the pie ideas as well.

x2aim July 20, 2012 at 3:56 am

If you make this on the stove top it will leave residue on your pot. I went to my local Goodwill & bought a funky old stew pot just for this. It is sooooo good! I’ll have to try the crockpot version!

Jenn July 25, 2012 at 11:37 pm

OMG! Tried this today and it rocked! And for those worried about the can exploding- isn’t that how canned goods are actually packed and sterilized at the plant that packed them to begin with? The only real danger should be if you actually heat up the can enough to boil the contents and therefore explode the can- but since this is being done at a low temp, should be no worries. :) Thanks for posting the recipe!

Budget Savvy Diva July 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I am so glad you liked it :)

Tracy August 6, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I’m so glad you posted pictures, i was worried about using a pop top can of milk. I remember they used to be a solid lid. I’m so trying this this weekend. Thank you :)

nancy September 3, 2012 at 12:13 am

i have done this before. i have had only one explosion (took me three days to clean everything within 15 feet!). the only thing to watch out for is the water level. making sure the water does not dry up and leave the can exposed. crockpot is the way to go. my aunt made this every summer in balboa, ca. and it was always a treat. glad to see this post!

Lisa Boltiador September 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

I totally tried this yesterday, yummy! Thanks!

Beth September 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Can you put multiple cans of the sweetened condensed milk in the crock pot? Will it still turn out?

Thanks

Budget Savvy Diva September 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Yep :)

Beth September 19, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Thanks so much!!

MaryBeth September 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Does it harden once it cools? I’d like to make caramel apples and am wondering if this method would work. Thanks!

Pam February 8, 2013 at 2:50 am

I am going to try it tomorrow does it stay soft or does it get hard after cooking it? I did not see a answer to that question. Excited about trying it..

Budget Savvy Diva February 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Soft

mamallama October 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm

If you are worried about bowl breaking you can put a folded piece of fabric or a small dish towel into the bottom of the crock. Set the can on top of the material and then fill with water.

Sami October 26, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Great Website! Was considering making this for this weekend. I plan on having a caramel apple bar, and to buy and unwrap all those caramels is crazy and expensive! I was wondering, do you think if i made a couple cans of this, then put it in the fridge (or let it sit in the cupboard), that i could reheat in a small crockpot, maybe add some half anf half so it wouldn’t scorch? Thanks!

mistieh November 16, 2012 at 10:51 pm

just made a batch in crock pot ..ohhh sooo sooo good

EmGK November 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

I just got a crock pot (an achievement being overseas!!) and tried this as my first crock pot adventure!! I followed Kathy’s advice about opening the can and covering it with foil then only filling the pot half way–I have a verrryy nervous husband and this eased his mind, a little. It turned out PERFECTLY!! I let mine cook over night in the crock pot for 8 hours, flawless…Though I have to say the water was a bit funky when I woke up, I think a bit of the milk must have spilled, but nothing seems to be amiss (could it have been the label from the can??) But OMG YUM! Amazing. I am eating it straight from the can…

Budget Savvy Diva November 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Must of been the label

Tammy L December 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

My sister-in-law did this for a Thanksgiving caramel pie….boiled the condensed milk, pour into a graham cracker crust & topped with whipped cream…….YUMMY!!!!!!! & so very easy

Rebekah December 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I’d like to do this for holiday gifts. Thought we would make it and package it up in a mason jar. Just wondering if I need to include instructions. Would you need to reheat it or does it stay “soft” enough to eat a day or so later? Should it be refrigerated? Thanks!

Rebekah December 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I was thinking about making this for holiday gifts and packaging it up in mason jars. Should there be some kind of instructions for reheating or does it stay “soft” when cooled? Should it be refrigerated?

Amy D December 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I’m a fan of Crock Pot Liners. That will also keep you from getting the rust ring and from the sticky stuff getting in your crock pot. I’ve done this before and stored them on the pantry shelf for a few months (unopened). This is a great topping for cheesecake as well. Last Christmas I had some of this in my pantry and I opened the can and put it in a little crock pot and warmed it up. We served it on warm and put it on everything from apples to grapes to cheesecake. It’s sooooo yummy!

kgaylep December 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm

get a gramm cracker or oreo pie shell. fill with caramel. then put any candybar froze and broken up. on top then whiped cream then a few shaved chocolate on top. best thing ever. small slices.

Nancy December 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm

My Mom use to make this only she would cook it until it was firm enough to remove both ends of the can then slide it out, slice it, put a pineapple ring slice on top with a cherry in the middle. I cut to the wick and just eat the caramel :-D

Tracy February 28, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Omg! I am so addicted to this stuff! I usually make it on the stove and boil for 2.5 -3hrs. I always make 2 or 3 cans at a time.
It will last unopened in the fridge for months. If i open a can and just want to use a little.. i keep it in a tightly covered plastic container and it will last a week.
Hint: always open it over a bowl, that way if it spills out over the top of the can… no mess.
The best recipe ever for this is Banoffee pie! …To Die For!
Layer these:
Graham crust
3 or 4 sliced bananas
1 can caramel
top with fairly stiff whipped cream ( cool whip can be used if you want but whipped cream seems to hold its shape better)
Put in the fridge for 2 hours to set and devour!

If you already have the caramel made, this takes less than 10 mins to prepare.
* For a healthier version you can use low fat sweetened condensed milk and low fat cool whip! Then you don’t have to feel guilty about eating the whole pie! LOL

Thanks for the crock pot idea! This reminds me…. I used my last can about 3 weeks ago. Time to make more!! :D

Ashley March 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm

When doing this, do you have to replenish the water at all, like you do with boiling it on the stove? Also should you let the can cool down in the water before removing from crockpot or pull it out after it’s done cooking and let it cool outside of the crockpot? Thanks!!

dany Miller May 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm

What size can of sweetened condensed milk did you use because when I used a 8 ounce can for the proper amount of time that you said when I open a can it was a solid and not like a liquid Carmel? Please help because I’m really craving Carmel

Jen June 19, 2013 at 12:31 am

Do you know if I could just use a coconut milk in place of the condensed milk and have the same outcome? I’m Lactose Intolerant so coconut milk would be my go to :)

Joh Jenkins July 14, 2013 at 3:07 am

Crockpot caramel recipe….we used to do it this way down under ( Australia )
Now we can buy it already done for us in a can…from the condensed milk maker!!! Only draw back is the children open the cans and eat it before we get a chance to use it….LOL

Dlynn January 2, 2014 at 2:05 am

This is actually something the troops did in the Korean war. They were so hungry for something sweet and sort of discovered this by accident. But they cooked it until it was solid and ate it like that. They called it flan in a can. At least that’s the story I heard.

Liz February 21, 2014 at 1:53 am

So easy! never would’ve thought of using my crock pot to make caramel!

Allie Talley March 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I can remember my mother doing this when we were kids! Except she always took the lid off and covered it tight with foil, you think it makes a difference either way? Ours always turned out looking like your picture and it tasted amazing!

Sara March 14, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I do not think there is a difference

Katie March 15, 2014 at 3:06 pm

This is amazing and FAST!!!

Jenn Westad April 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm

FUN, didn’t know you could do this. Looks delish, can’t wait to try.

Budget Savvy Diva November 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm