Make sure to repin this recipe
When I was developing this recipe I was struggling with a name for it. It happens a lot – I am not very creative when it comes with name ( as evident with my white hamster being named snowball when I was a kid)
But when I thought of smothered I knew I had a winner of a name – because the cheese really smothers the veggie in this dish — and it is SO right. I love mozzarella cheese it is so easy to work with and melts so well
I added pine nuts because they really add a protein punch. I had this for lunch with my parents and both of them said the same thing – you really do not miss meat in this dish. You can totally add some – but it really is hearty on its own. I really see this as the side dish to make to impress family and friends.
I am a big fan of cooking within the season – I love Oregon since we really have great local farms so I am able to cook within the season pretty easily. Almost all my produce I buy at local stands in the farm land ( yes I am that sorta person) or a local farmers market – got to help that local economy
I added basil because basil is awesome – I wanted the dish to almost taste like a lasagna
What is your favorite way to enjoy zucchini?
If you do make the Zucchini Smothered with Mozzarella comment and let me know what you think 🙂
Love You Guys!
Zucchini Smothered with Mozzarella Recipe
- 2 Cups of Zucchini - Cut into medallions
- Mozzarella - Chopped into slices - about 8 - 10 slices
- ¼ Cup of Pine Nuts - Toasted - 350 on cookie sheet bake for 5 - 7 minutes
- Handful of Basil - Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large skillet add oil and zucchini over medium heat
- Cook for a few minutes - wait for the zucchini to start browning
- Add pine nuts and mozzarella - cover the skillet - lower heat to low/ medium and cook for 5 minutes - you want the cheese to be fully melted
- Uncover and add basil