As part of our 2018 health kick I am focusing on vegetables and substitutions. I’ve been cooking more with turkey and/or veggie proteins and I made a delicious side dish with cauliflower that is so scoopably delicious. This dish will make veggies disappear from a plate like magic. Admittedly it doesn’t taste as much like it’s namesake as it looks. It’s more like a super cheesy broccoli dish, but it is so, so, sooooooo good. Plus, it’s less filling so you can eat a lot more of it. Trust me. You’ll want to.
It’s very simple to make and way worth the small effort with only 30 minutes total prep/cook time. This recipe contains 4-6 rich and creamy servings of an ooey-gooey, hot and chewy, cheesy side dish. This dish yields nearly 10 grams of protein plus calcium, vitamin D, Iron and remarkably little sodium.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into bite-size chunks.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (set ½ cup aside)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Boil water in a large pot. Season with salt.
- Coat an 8X8 baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Boil cauliflower for about 5 minutes until tender. Drain well and transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish.
- Simmer the cream in a small saucepan. Add cream cheese and mustard, whisking until smooth. Continue stirring and add 1 ½ cups cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic. Whisk for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and season to taste.
- Remove from heat and pour over cauliflower. Stir until well blended.
- Top with ½ cup shredded cheese and bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese turns brown and bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.