10 Things to put in Easter eggs that aren’t candy

March 28, 2011

Guest Post By Mama Loves Her Bargains

I’m
not anti-candy. Not at all. (Hey, look at my physique, there’s clearly been
candy in my life on many occasions!). That said, I don’t want to just fill a bunch of eggs with
candy and let the kids have at it. Sure, I do some candy treats, but we’re big
into the hunting of the eggs in this family and I try to think “outside the box”
for fillers. Since Easter’s just around the corner, I thought I’d share a few of
my suggestions to fill plastic eggs that are not candy!
Here are This Mama’s suggestions to put into eggs:
1. Stickers
2. Tatoos
3. Bouncy Balls
4. Bandaids (what kid doesn’t love character bandaids?)
5. Mini Erasers
6. Matchbox Cars
7. Whistle
8. Tubs of chapstick/lip gloss
9. Coins
10. Puzzle pieces
The puzzle pieces might be my favorite…and you can do it a few ways. You can
just tuck a piece or 2 of a puzzle in a bunch of eggs and finish the puzzle
together as a family after the hunt, OR, you can get a puzzle per kid, and they
have to find THEIR puzzle pieces. This can be a lot of fun and you can make it
more and more challenging depending how old your kids are! The last way you
could use puzzle pieces is to have a “larger” prize-type item and get a picture
of it- cut that picture into puzzle pieces and tuck each piece into an egg to be
hunted for. (You will likely have to color code the eggs or “label” them per kid
with some of these ideas!)
You can always buy different sized eggs, which would definitely allow for even
more creativity in your hunts. Fruit snacks lend themselves nicely to being
tucked into the medium sized eggs, as do pairs of kid socks, underwear and hair
clips!
We love the egg hunt, we just have so much fun with it! Do you put things
besides candy into your eggs? What kinds of things do you tuck into your eggs?

Thanks! Mama Loves Her Bargains for This GREAT Easter Post

Cheri D March 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

What a fun list! Thanks for the ideas. The only one I probably would not personally do is the whistle. My son got a whistle once as a party favor and once he learned how to blow it, it drove me crazy. :) Love the band-aid idea!!

Ash April 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Awesome! Wonderful ideas.

erin March 20, 2012 at 1:28 am

Also…those growing capsules…that turn into animal sponges and what not and little figures like squinkies..and bugs/ dinosaur figures from the dollar store…my son can’t have most candy out there so I have to get creative! :)

Tammy Poole March 29, 2013 at 10:43 pm

my daughter always loved the animals or disks or whatever that turn into real wash rags when you get them wet.

Tiff April 8, 2012 at 5:58 am

I also use notes. Simple I love you, coupons good for a free movie pick, a get to go out with just mom or dad lunch, free video game time, or a day with no chores. The kids love them and beg for them every year.

Sue March 29, 2013 at 10:38 pm

One year my kids put a clue in each egg to where the next egg might be. The clue rhymed. The last egg told me where my gift was. So much fun! Not just for kids!

Amy March 29, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I pinned my own post last year of camo eggs and army men. With all boys they were a hit! Hard to find too! ;)

Kristy March 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm

We have always done coupons too in some eggs. It’s fun for the teens to get “an extra dessert one night” coupon , or a coupon to “give your brother one of your chores”.

Micki Samson March 30, 2013 at 12:22 am

Back when Leggs pantyhose came in EGGS, we used to use those for Easter Eggs too! Bigger toys woud fit in there!

becca March 30, 2013 at 12:59 am

we put mini chapsticks in ours for the girls and mini parachut men for the boys!

Rae March 30, 2013 at 1:20 am

My mom used to put little slips of paper with prizes on them. Our favorites were “You pick which homemade dinner we’ll have this weekend,” “we’ll have a game/movie night and you pick the games/movie,” and “This coupon is good for one item of your choice at the dollar store.” I miss those eggs :)