Lemonade Kool-Aid as Dishwasher Cleaner

April 23, 2012

Lemonade Kool-Aid as Dishwasher Cleaner

** ONLY Lemonade Kool – Aid Works **

Wow!! I just tried this today at my parents home and it really works.

All you do is place the lemonade Kool – Aid into where you place the detergent and run without dishes.

It cleans lime deposits and iron stains!

I found out about this awesome tip HERE

Bethany April 24, 2012 at 1:08 am

Makes you think twice about drinking it doesn’t it? lol
Thanks for the tip!

jodi April 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Bethany, I was thinking the same thing!! but I will def try and clean with it.

tahoegrandma April 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Bethany, I was thinking the same thing…………LOL

Lana July 23, 2012 at 4:55 am

Thinking the same here also…..

Arloa Dahl April 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have used lemonade KoolAid for years to clean coffee percolators. Works like a charm

Lee April 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’m going to try this as a cleaning solution in the bathtub… our cats love to play in it (especially Jake, who uses it as his personal hide away) so I always hate using chemicals, but it tends to get that orange-y water residue that I can only get rid of with cleanser. This would not only not hurt them, but would smell delish while I clean :)

Virginia Bingham April 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’m amazed & love these simply solutions!!!

Denisha April 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm

sounds great and thanks for the tip

MortiMouse May 1, 2012 at 12:38 am

Lemon is a natural stripping/bleaching agent. If you have blond hair that turns a tint of green from chlorine in swimming pools, cut a lemon and rub some lemon juice into your hair. The lemon will take the green out.

Cut a lemon in half, dip it in salt and rub it on the bottom of copper pans to clean them.

Lemon juice and baking soda will take stains out of counter tops.

No worries about eating lemons, though, they provide many health benefits such as fighting infections, lower blood pressure, relieve gingivitis. Lemons are good for you, too.

C Simpson Hall May 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm

My mom used to use Tang! We never got to drink it as it was for cleaning the dishwasher!!!

Shawnna June 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I wonder if the Country Time Lemonade would work also?

Kris June 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

This does work. My only tip is that if you live in a big “ant” area it may attract them! A plumber gave me that info:-)

MortiMouse June 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Shawnna – the key is it needs to be sugar free. I don’t think Country Time comes without sugar. Plus Country Time is considerably more expensive. Last time I checked, the Kool-Aid packets were something like .10¢ – .20¢ each. A lot of times you can find the for 10 for a $1.

Amy F. June 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I totally will have to get some packets and try this. Have you ever tried it in your coffee maker? I might have to try that too just to see if it’ll help clean out the deposits in that…

1st2go June 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Be sure to use the kind of kool-aid that needs sugar. The reason this works is the citric acid in the lemonade. The mild acid breaks the bonds of the scale and allows the agitation of the water to blast it away. It’s the same principle as soaking your shower head in vinegar to get it to spray properly again.

Juli June 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Pour a table spoon of salt in there and squeeze in some lemon juice it will also work.

Bettie August 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I’m sure this works, but it will bring in ants. I use Borax and run it through without dishes and then run just hot water through a second time. Its cleans and ants do not like Borax.

Stephanie September 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks for these tips, never knew. I always just use white vinegar but hate the smell and it doesn’t seem to clean all the lime/calcium build up (we have hard water). Would straight lemon concentrate work or would something else need to be added? Also, same amount for a coffee pot or less than a whole packet?

Stephanie October 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I wonder if this would work on my shower doors to rid them of lime & calcium deposits?!

stepahanie May 28, 2013 at 4:30 pm

You can cut a lemon in half and dip it in sea salt and it will bring all that off. Also you can use 8oz of BLUE DAWN dish washing liquid 8oz of white vinegar and all you do is put the vinegar in the microwave for about 5 mins in a spray bottle and then add the DAWN and shake spray and then let it set over night or a few hours go in wet a cloth and rinse and wipe clean it works wonderfully this is all I use…..

Sherri October 18, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I mix 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda (not washing POWDER or baking SODA) 1/4 cup kosher sea salt, and four packs of Kool-Aid lemonaide mix. Use two tablespoons(1 in the pre-wash cup and 1 in the other) I use this as my dishwasher soap now, and it works great and keeps your dishwasher clean of buildup.. I use white vinegar as my rinse agent. This combination works as good as any thing I’ve ever used from the store, and costs pennies per load!

tammy December 5, 2012 at 5:01 am

what is washing soda?

Jules November 2, 2012 at 12:17 am

I inherited a dishwasher that could definitely use some intensive lemon-aid treatment, thanks for the hints. I am intrigued by the comment Sherri left about what homemade dishwasher soap she is using… anyone tried it or any comments? Not familiar with what washing soda would be, however, always looking for something that works well that does not cost a lot. ;-)

Margaret December 28, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Washing soda is an arm and hammer product. It is in a box and says washing soda. It’s in the laundry isle grocery store.

Veronica Cox May 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm

You can also use Tang Powdered Drink Mix to clean your dishwasher.

Sarah May 31, 2013 at 3:34 am

Do you think this would work as a washing machine cleaner as well ?

Katie June 22, 2013 at 7:52 am

Yes, the Orange Tang powder works as well. Makes the smell go away and cleans up any stains in the dishwasher. I’ve heard other brands of orange/lemon drink mix work too, but orange Tang is what I use. Makes the whole kitchen smell better, which is nice if the garbage needs to go out.

robin March 1, 2014 at 12:53 am

now this is a tip I can really use, can’t afford a new dishwasher right now, but it is not cleaning as well as it should….

donna March 1, 2014 at 7:00 am

I dont have a dishwasher ! wish I did

Cynthia Sawyer March 1, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I have read about lemonade Kool-aid as an alternative to citric acid before, although I have yet to try it. This looks like a great idea.

Cynthia Sawyer March 1, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I just scanned the other comments. I use a recipe similar to Sherri’s for dishwasher detergent. It includes the Borax and the washing soda but instead of the other ingredients she listed, I mix in Epsom salt and lemon juice and mold it in ice cube trays. 2 cubes per load and my dishes are clean. I tried other dish detergent recipes and was dissatisfied but I have found this one really works. I do also use vinegar as a rinse agent.