Eat Marshmallows If You Have A Sore Throat

Use Aluminum Foil as Dryer Sheet

Use Shaving Cream To Clean Bathroom Mirror

Use Lemons To Make Soggy Lettuce Crisp

How To Restore A Sponge With Salt

5 Unexpected Ways to Use Toothpaste

Eat Marshmallows If You Have A Sore Throat

Eat three or four marshmallows to sooth a sore throat. It is the gelatin in the marshmallows that help soothe your throat.

( I am currently suffering from a sore throat and I tried this trick and it worked :) )

Source

Sara May 12, 2012 at 1:11 am

I don’t want all that sugar! If the active ingredient is the gelatin, wonder if I can achieve the same effect with sugar-free jello?

Tiffany May 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm

When I was younger, my mother used to make me what I call hot jell-0. I believe she made it like you normally would but with all hot water and I would drink it and my throat would feel so much better and it was because of the gelatin…at least, I’m pretty sure it’s the gelatin! Whatever it was, it worked and I still have her make it for me when I’m sick now! And we now use sugar-free jello as I am a diabetic! Hope that helps!

Jessica October 6, 2012 at 6:07 am

My mom would always make me “hot jello” when I was a kid a well. Now I make it when my boyfriend or I get sick, and sometimes like to dip graham crackers in it :).

Dezraei Hall-Scott May 12, 2012 at 1:15 am

OK, I am gonna try it! This sore throat is killing me!

ahhhh hehe May 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

@Sara, I don’t think the sugar in 3-4 marshmellows will harm you…..

Mom2aTeeoneDee May 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm

if you are a diabetic it can be un-needed carbs…. hate to have to give a shot of insulin while trying to sooth a sore throat….

Vicki White May 12, 2012 at 2:13 am

I will definitely try this next time my little ones are sick! I hate giving them medication all the time. This is a tasty alternative! They love marshmallows! Hope you feel better!

Elle Thomas May 12, 2012 at 3:48 am

Sara, When I was a kid my dad would give me hot jello when I was feeling sick. It always soothed my throat and it tasted like liquid jolly ranchers!
Elle

Angela from Sunny San Diego May 12, 2012 at 5:22 am

My mama always gave me warm jello too. It was the BEST! My kids haven’t quite developed the taste for it. but I still make it for myself when I am sick.

Amberly May 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Angela, what part of San Diego are you in? I’m in Ocean Beach/Pt. Loma area. :)

Sara May 15, 2012 at 5:23 pm

How fun… Mine’s been scratchy lately so I’ll definitely give this a try! Thanks for sharing!
lifeinthesetimesblog.wordpress.com

Terra June 29, 2012 at 1:30 am

As a vegetarian I hate eating ANYTHING that has gelatin in it, but marshmallows are the ONLY gelatin-filled item I can’t kick. Well, at least in the summer time/s’mores season. Darn, now I have another reason to eat them. :-)

Elizabeth July 19, 2012 at 2:03 am

My kids will probably like this better than what I currently do. When our throats get sore, we eat pineapple. There’s a science-y reason for it, I’m sure, but if I wake up in the morning and my throat is sore with a gravelly voice, pineapples or pineapple juice immediately returns my voice and soothes the throat.

tory September 21, 2012 at 8:10 am

Ive always drank hot jello for my hair,nails, and skin because of the gelatin, i now have a good reason to to it more! Now im off ti the kitchen to relieve this sore throat!

Natalie October 5, 2012 at 11:48 pm

How long does the soothing effect work though? Cuz like drinking warm things help soothe mine but only while I’m drinking it, as soon as its gone my sore throat comes back. So just wondering how long before it wears off?

Budget Savvy Diva October 6, 2012 at 12:08 am

I felt it working for a hour or so

Linda October 6, 2012 at 1:13 am

I know my kids would love to try this the next time they have a sore throat. We currently drink hot tea with honey when anyone has a sore throat or cough. It works wonders and is so soothing. But this will just give us another thing to add to our arsenal.

Gabrielle October 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Interesting post. Here in Austria you can still buy the ‘real stuff’. Real marchmallows made with Althaea officinalis (common marshmallow) which is known since the middle ages in the treatment of sore throat. I don’t think the commercially available marshmallows in the States work the same way. But if it’s the gelatine, I would imagine, that anything with gelatine would work.

Tab October 10, 2012 at 11:14 pm

It might contain pectin which is a main ingredient in throat lozenges.

Jessica McGiffen December 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I always do different herbal teas :) We never take medicine different teas help anything!

Rowanne Scarratt January 16, 2013 at 11:29 pm

This really helped! I have a really sore throat, and I’ve just been living on tea and coffee to help me, but the problem was when I go to school I cant have hot drinks, so now I can just have some marshmall ows in my bag to help!! Thanks so much!! :)

AB March 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Wonder if there is a vegetarian equivalent?

Silvie August 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I will have to try this, although i’m trying out the raw honey and cinnamon w/a dash of lemon juice. It’s very tasty and good for you :) but will def have to try the mellow anything to soothe my sore throat