How to Make Homemade Scented Oil Plug-In Refills

October 5, 2012

Other Great Tips!

How to Make Homemade Scented Oil Plug-In Refills
1. Using an old plug in, take out the wick and rinse out the bulb
2. Find an oil you like and pour it in the bulb 1/3 or 1/2 to the top
3. Fill the rest of the bulb with water and put the wick back in
4. Put the bulb back in the plug in and enjoy!

Shirley Fiero October 6, 2012 at 1:19 am

Hi!

I tried to get the wick out of one of my bath and body works blubs but it wouldn’t budge, any suggestions on how to get the wicks out. I ended up shredding mine trying to pull it out, with pliers.

Thank You!
Shirley

Britt March 17, 2013 at 12:12 am

The wick on those has a piece of metal sticking thru it so you can’t pull it out without destroying the wick. You actually can take the rubber white piece out with the wick all together.. At least that’s what I did!!

kelly July 18, 2013 at 3:18 am

to get the bath and body works ones just use a butter knife and slowly and easy, pry it off. just kind of wiggle it and move it all around . it took me a while the first time but now it is a little easier :)

Jennifer October 6, 2012 at 2:02 am

I have been refilling my glade and febreeze warmers for about a year now, I was so excited when I found out the caps can be popped off.. I use a reed diffuser refill oil because last time the oil got all gooey on the diffuser part…

elizabeth October 7, 2012 at 3:15 am

got the wick out of the glade bulb, soaking it now, will fill tomorrow, will let you know how I did…

Cherish Yount October 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

I was able to pop off the Bath and Body top with a butter knife.

bethlaf October 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm

been doing this for a while you can do one of two ways , the big water based bottles of refreser they sell , or the smaller concentrated scents, this works really well, but you have to remember if you use the water based refresher or the oil based, because , obviously unless you have the bath and body stuff around the house that i have you cant “force” oil and water to stay mixed.

you can refill about 4-5 of these for 4.00 using the reed diffuser oils , and that lasts about 3-4 weeks or you can refill about 40 with the water base, each refill lasts about 2 weeks for 5.00 (((walmart pricing))

amy w. October 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm

You can use a little bit of solubilizer and the EO and water will stay mixed perfectly, The airwick brand is much easier to refill and I refuse to pay the price for BBW product when I can make my own lavender oil and have it as strong as I want….

J October 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm

The Bath and Body Works plugins (Wallflowers) are not as easy to refill; they purposely make the wick deteriorate after a certain amount of time, so it won’t fit back in the lid as easily. :P

Michelle L. November 5, 2012 at 12:16 am

I saw this earlier this year on Pinterest and was soooo excited. I have the ones from Bath & Body works just like the Pinterest link. Yeah…that was so hard to get the top off but I finally did it without breaking the glass. Filled it up with lavender essential oil and now! I can’t get the wick & top to go back in the bottle! I give up! LOL! Is there a secret I’m missing?

Vernice duford November 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

I used a chenille stick bent it double and cut to fit the bottle. worked great.

Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock December 14, 2012 at 3:14 am

Just saw this on Pinterest. Such a great idea. Are there certain recommended oils?

Yulonda January 3, 2013 at 3:32 am

Airwick is the best to use to refill. I tried pulling the wick it was pretty easy but the top was easy to open and refilled with my fav scent.

Eva March 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I used the same method with BBW wallflowers, however; the mixture evaporated within two days. Is this normal?

nanas mittens April 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Why can’t you use a tiki torch wick?

nancy April 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I been refilling mine for a few years now

Terri Porche April 22, 2013 at 2:18 am

I’ve been refilling my Bath and Body Works plugin for a while now. I have found great scented oils at the Dollar tree. The Cucumber Melon smells great. I have noticed the wick is starting to breakdown. I am determined to find a way to fix this or replace this. I will keep you updated.

joy April 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

For the first time I refilled a febreeze double size plugin, Very easy to get lids off. The orginal scent was vanilla so I put cheap imitation vanilla(.79) in it. we shall see how much scent it gives off. I have tried (works great) putting vanilla in a pan or mug in your oven @300 degrees for an hour with in 15 minutes house is filled with vanilla scent. It does dry out so keep an eye on it,

Angel May 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I do this all the time :)

Amy T May 2, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Has anyone done this successfully with the Glade brand? I have tried but they either break off or won’t budge. Are you using a hand to remove, or a set of pliers? Any tips are helpful!

Jessica May 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm

My wicks expanded when I refilled mine and was unable to ue them again.

Neil June 15, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Hi Jessica, you said the wick expanded. If the wick has only expanded at one end simply pull the wick up so that it comes out fully. Now insert to un expanded end from the underside of the plastic cap. As you insert it, try rotating the wick in a clockwise direction as you push it up. Remember to wear rubber gloves as your fingers will smell for quite some time. It does not matter if the expanded is in the liquid, it is only a wick after all.

Charlotte May 4, 2013 at 12:53 am

I just tried this and it works great. I had no problem removing the cap from the Glade bottle. I just pushed it up with my finger nails. I was a little concerned with the water and oil mixture, but everything seems to be fine and my oil smells great.

Tonja June 6, 2014 at 4:31 pm

The Glade ones have a plastic cap that holds the wick in. Using a butter knife can pop that plastic cap off. You don’t have to pull the wick itself out, just the plastic cap holding it.

lavada July 28, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I was able to pry it off with a butter knife… just work all around the edge and it just pops off. The febreze refills were so easy. Now what type of oil do you suggest?

Melissa October 30, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I been trying to the wic out of the glade ones and they keep breaking in half and then don’t work. How do I get them off?

Emma January 17, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I did this a few years back and just love saving the money having to buy a new insert and finding one that yo personally like the smell of. I can use what ever E/O I want now. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Melody Herman April 22, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried using coconut oil for this?

Bonnie July 3, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Where can I buy new wicks? Ad do you always mix oil and water?