How Budget Savvy Diva Organizes Her Spices

April 26, 2012

Yes these are my spices above :)

I get daily emails concerning how I organize my kitchen and stockpile. Beyond that there is the constant question how do I get everything done ( Running Budget Savvy Diva ( as of right now I am a one woman team) posting about 30 times a day + cook and post a new recipe a day + spend time with the hubby + etc. )  ?!

Well I have a answer for you ;)

Answer: TONS of Organization

Many of you do not know that I was diagnose with acute ADD when I was at the end of middle school about 10 years ago ( my grades were extremely poor) . I took medication for the first 3 years of high school ( my senior year I implemented everything I had learned) – I was finally able to focus and start learning. I ended up graduating at the top of my class in high school and earned full scholarships to a number of colleges – I ended up graduating from University of Southern California. I found out that organization was essential to getting things done well. Each morning I start my to – do list and work my way through.

I used the same outlook with organizing my spices.

Bottom Right – There is the sweet category + everyday spices

Bottom Left – Italian Spices

Upper Left – Spicy seasonings – I put them there because I rarely use them.

Upper right – The spices and stocks I use the most thus easier for me to reach since I am right handed.

This is my everyday spice rack.

Everything is clearly marked ( except the one with no marking ;) this is my homemade taco seasoning) ).

If a seasoning is not here that I need I go to my drawer of spices.

Of course I need a spice section in my stockpile.

I have this section dedicated to overflow spices or duplicates.

In conclusion – You do not need to organize your spices and seasonings like me BUT they should be organized in a way that will help keep your sanity a little more. I personally need a rigid system because I would lose track of them without one + I would end up being bottles and bottles of spices I already have.

How Do YOU Organize Your Spices and Seasoning? Please leave your answer in the comment section

Jane April 26, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I love all of your Penzey’s–they’re the best!

Cherie April 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

WOW……. very cool…. I do a blog…several posts per day, raising two babies under 2 and 10mths, manage a farm, and…… am absolutely NO WAY Organized!! KUDOS to you!! My place is a shambles…. ha ha.

Catherine Bennet April 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I was going to post about this very thing today. Thanks so much for sharing. Mine is a mess. I want to get better organized. I hate the mess I have now. I have a rotating tower. I hate it because most of the spices I don’t use. So I need to just redo the labels and put in what I use. That would sure help. hehe

Catherine Bennet April 26, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Where did you get jar organizer for your counter.

Budget Savvy Diva April 26, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I think it was from amazon ?

Lindsy April 27, 2012 at 12:09 am

I have a three tier expandable shelf on my counter. It works really well for me! :)

Terry April 27, 2012 at 12:34 am

I keep them in a drawer like your first picture so they are not exposed to sunlight

Anna April 27, 2012 at 12:50 am

I have a floor to ceiling spice rack, my counters are too small to hold alot of items, so mu husband built me this one,notice my profile picture? thats a partial picture of it, my large canisters go to the bottom, my everyday smaller ones next, the next smaller ones above that and the baking spices up top, and the very bottom fits my cooking magazines. I also keep a rotating one on top of my refrigerator for now with re-fillable bottles.

Jess Wszalek April 27, 2012 at 1:54 am

I have a rotating spice rack that we got as a wedding present but for the spices I use the most (& separate from the rack) I keep in two baskets- one for baking & one for cooking. In these baskets I also keep things like food coloring, sprinkles, cupcake liners, dip mixes, other seasoning packets etc. I like to keep as organized as possible for not only myself but also my hubby since he doesn’t pay attention to where stuff is & I can just tell him which basket to grab when he’s helping out in the kitchen!

Annmarie April 27, 2012 at 5:55 am

I store my spices in the pantry in a wall mounted rack. Much like you, I organize then by catagory. (might be my retail background!)
Also, I buy as much as I can from Penzey’s….aren’t they the absolute best?
Thanks for sharing your tips for organization.

Angela April 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I keep mine in a shoebox in one of my cabinets, with the top of the lid labeled. Now I can just pull out the shoebox, and quickly see what I need without pulling each one out to read the actual label.