Pregnancy is a wonderful time. However, it is also associated with weight gain, changes in volume, especially the abdomen and chest. Also, often pregnant women experience swelling, frequent need to visit the restroom. The need to wear special clothes for pregnant women may arise by the middle of the second trimester. A growing tummy no longer allows you to fasten your trousers at the waist? Especially for you, we have prepared recommendations and tips.
Clothes for the period of waiting for a child
Choose cotton or viscose, either alone or combined with synthetic fibers for stretch. The fabric must breathe, because during pregnancy, due to hormones, the expectant mother may experience heat or sweat more than usual. If we talk about pure synthetics like polyester, then it is better to leave it for special occasions, not for every day.
Leave the stomach open or close with an elastic insert? Here, each mother decides for herself how it is more convenient to dress during pregnancy. However, in cold weather, of course, it is better to cover the stomach and lower back.
You need to be prepared for the fact that clothes can increase in size, even if you do not gain much weight. In addition to the fact that the volume of the abdomen increases, the chest and pelvic bones may expand somewhat. This is how the body reacts to the baby, which takes up more and more space. Therefore, the usual T-shirts and trousers may not fit, even if they stretch well.
Of course, clothing also depends on the season. It is often hot in summer, and many mothers choose bike shorts or shorts and spacious tunics for this period – they allow you to feel freer. Someone is more comfortable in T-shirts and a minimum of things, but be careful with tanning. For cold weather for a pregnant woman, you can choose clothes that are suitable in volume. Pay attention to things of a straight or A-silhouette, or a “cocoon” silhouette. You can also refer to models specially designed for expectant mothers.
Sometimes women in pregnancy may change preferences in style or color. This is absolutely normal. However, if you are planning, for example, a photo shoot, try to consult with an experienced photographer about which clothing option is better to choose. It is important that you like the result and please for many years.
Features of clothes for pregnant and lactating women
The best clothing option is one that is designed for both the period of pregnancy and the postpartum period. A new mother often has to choose special clothes that are suitable for feeding and allow the baby to quickly access the breast. Also, when choosing things, keep in mind that it will take time to restore the body.
T-shirts and dresses with locks, ties, hidden zippers and other nursing clothes help moms out in any situation. Button-down blouses also make breastfeeding easier. Pants made of elastic material stretch with the growing belly, and then also support the body in the postpartum period. Underwire bras for pregnant women and nursing mothers make life much easier. Breast volumes before and after feeding can vary significantly, and sensations with overflowing glands may not be the most comfortable, so elastic cups and gentle support in bras and other clothing suitable for feeding will help out.
What clothes do pregnant women need
1. Invest in what you need first. Until a certain time, a pair of excellent jeans with a special stretch insert for the stomach may be enough for you. With them, you can wear a regular T-shirt, and a jumper, and an elegant top. There are models with a low waist, which are perfect for the postpartum period.
2. A loose-fitting shirt and dress pants with lumbar and tummy support will help you answer the question: what to wear to the office during pregnancy? After all, you need to stay within the business dress code, if your employer’s rules require it. If you need to wear a jacket or blazer, you can leave it unbuttoned.
3. A knee-length dress or below will help you out during pregnancy, when you don’t want to pick up the top and bottom at all. In summer, this dress is not hot, in autumn and spring it can be combined with tights and high-top boots, for example. This will keep you looking stylish no matter the weather.
4. Of the skirts for this period, the most convenient models are those with an elastic band, which can be worn both under the chest and placed under the belly. Too narrow models, alas, will have to be postponed at least until the birth of the baby.
5. Choose tights specially designed for pregnant women. There is no evidence that ordinary pantyhose harms the baby in any way, but it can simply be uncomfortable. In addition, for a voluminous belly, a model with a very high waist would be needed.
6. It is better to choose trousers in classic colors – black, gray, brown. They are easier to combine with different top options. What other universal clothes do pregnant women need? Of course, leggings. Wear them with oversized jumpers or in mlayered images After pregnancy women also need special clothes like recovery leggings.
7. You can immediately choose underwear so that it is comfortable to wear it after childbirth. Until the body recovers, you will be more comfortable shorts with a low waist. And you can choose a bra so that the straps can be unfastened for feeding at the right time. For tops, a very soft fabric is used, in which it is comfortable to spend a lot of time. Our blog has more detailed recommendations on the selection of underwear.
8. What kind of shoes should a expectant mother wear during pregnancy? Pick the one that makes you feel more comfortable. It is unusual and uncomfortable for some women to walk without heels – in this case, choose stable models with high-quality arch support. Otherwise, it’s safer to walk flat with little incline. A low platform is acceptable. It is preferable to choose shoes for pregnant women without fasteners, with Velcro or zippers. Boots that need to be laced up may become uncomfortable to put on as early as the end of the second trimester. Also keep in mind that during pregnancy your size may change – sometimes the feet become a little wider or longer.