How to Get Box Cake to Taste Homemade

October 5, 2012

Did you pre-order Budget Savvy Diva’s Book Yet ?! Over 40 Recipes

Find out all the details HERE

Make sure to pin the recipe or REPIN IT!

Everyday at 1 pm PST/ 4pm EST Budget Savvy Diva posts a NEW RECIPE :) I might miss this time every now or then – but I know you understand

Make sure to follow Budget Savvy Diva on Facebook :)

Find Copy Cat Restaurant Recipes HERE

Find Crock Pot Recipes HERE

Find Gluten Free Recipes HERE

Find more Recipes HERE

How to Get Box Cake to Taste Homemade
In just a few easy steps you can make your box cake recipes taste homemade! Read your instructions and add one more egg, two if you want it more rich. For the next step you use melted butter instead of oil and twice as much. Ditch the water and use milk! Finally mix and bake, it really is a huge difference that you’ll be able to tell by the first bite. YUM!

Other recipes you'll love:

melissa October 6, 2012 at 3:19 am

has anyone tried this yet? please let me know :)

Kim October 6, 2012 at 11:56 am

Daughter did this yesterday and it was awesome…what a difference!

ann beck October 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I use the milk instead of the water and I find a difference for the better-next time gonna do the the extra egg and butter thing

jacqueline October 8, 2012 at 5:48 am

Just made this and my whole family LOVED it !!!!

Leah October 25, 2012 at 11:41 pm

OMG!! I will never make cake any other way!! It was amazing !!so fluffy and light. I did make cupcakes with this recipe and I made the mistake is opening the oven door so instead puffing up ,they fell -not as pretty ,but amazingly tasty!! YUMMMM

Kristy November 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Or…..you could just make a cake from scratch. Cheaper, just as easy, and without all the chemicals and preservatives in the cake mix. I mean, seriously, all the cake mix does in this instance is pre-measure your sugar and flour. I think y’all can do that. :)

Sandra November 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Kristy,

I would love to see your version of a home made cake. Would love if you would post your version.

Thanks,
Sandra

Sonya November 27, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Make sure to use Duncan Hines Butter Recipe cake mix with these changes and its better! :)

Andrea November 28, 2012 at 2:14 am

I made this. Some people said it was richer, some didn’t notice any difference. I did notice the cake was much heavier in weight. I personally thought it tasted better.

katy December 4, 2012 at 4:51 am

I’m wondering how this would work with high altitude… I’ve giving up baking from scratch bc nothing turns out but box cakes are so blah!! I’ll give it a try tomorrow, but I always use applesauce instead of oil since its healthier wonder how this will effect it also!!

Allen December 5, 2012 at 5:36 am

I always substitute the oil with mayonnaise. Mayo is oil and egg so the cake comes out moist and rich. Works great for biscuits too, do the same thing replace the oil with the mayo, people will rave about how light, moist and flaky your biscuits are.

Bev December 31, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Allen – what is the conversion for replacing the oil with mayo?

Cory Trusty at Aquarian Bath December 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

If you want to make the best box carrot cake, you can add pulp from juiced carrots. It’s so good. Just bake it at a little bit lower heat for a little longer than usual.

Kris December 23, 2012 at 2:11 am

I baked the cake following using this method….and if that wasn’t enough, I made a poke cake out of it (using cheesecake flavored pudding). I’m not much of a cake eater so I didn’t think it was anything special but my daughter thought it was TO DIE FOR!!

GC December 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Whenever I make a package cake I always grate up some apple, maybe three tablespoons, and it makes it very moist.

Shelby March 16, 2013 at 4:03 am

I use applesauce instead of oil for all boxed cake mixes…makes it alot lighter.

Kelly Blythe March 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Absolutely works….been doing the egg and milk thing for years! Learned this from a friend!

Ali March 23, 2013 at 12:59 am

The cake is baking right now! I know it will be great. How could extra butter and egg not make something better? Also on the semi-homemade note, I take store bought icing and whip it with my mixer. It doubles the batch and taste great too! Thanks for the baking tips.

Peggy Does Cake July 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Ali, I agree! On the rare occasion that I have ever used canned icing, I whip it, as well. But I also drop in about 2 or 3 tablespoons of room temperature butter. It honestly takes it to a different level of richness, in my opinion. Homemade icing is so easy that I can hardly imagine anyone using store bought unless it’s an emergency, but sometimes you just have to grab and can and run. The added butter and whipping make it not just bearable, but delicious!

Lydia Lopez April 24, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Absolutely loved this version! Just finished eating a slice of the German Chocolate Cake using these suggestions and wow let me tell you it’s absolutely super moist. The cake nearly doubled in size, I made it in a bunt cake pan and the buttery flavor was just perfect! I will use these tips when prepping for a fast cake! Thanks A Bunch! ;-)

Toni July 13, 2013 at 12:15 am

Do I use butter or margarine?

Cloey teitsch August 29, 2013 at 2:09 pm

before I try this, I want to make sure how much butter (melted) I need to use instead of oil? You mentioned twice as much, that means I need 1 cup of melted butter (in box, it says half cups of vegetable oil) Please let me know! Thanks!

Pat September 12, 2013 at 3:56 am

i wanted to add fresh carrots, rasins, walnuts, and coconut to a carrot cake box mix. can you help and tell me how much and more to add to the box mix. PLEASE help and thank you for your time.

Lori October 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I make my cakes by starting with one box mix and adding 4 eggs, 1/2 milk or water, 1/3 melted butter and 1 small box of instant pudding and a half cup of sour cream. It makes the cakes very dense and moist. It is perfect if you are wanting to stack or carve your cakes!

Lori October 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

should be 1/3 cup of butter. And also you can mix match any flavors of cake mix and pudding mix that you would like!

Mary Alyce February 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I tried this today, 2/3/14. Did not like the outcome. Will go back to the way I make cakes/cupcakes by adding, in addition to ingredients on the box, the following: 3/4 c. flour; 1/2 c. sugar; 1 tsp. baking powder; another egg in addition to those on the box; 1 tbsp. vegetable oil; 1/4 c. water; 1 pkg. Dream Whip (dry), optional but makes better cake. A box mix usually makes about 24 cupcakes. Adding the above will yield 32-34 cupcakes, very light, delicious. I’ve been using this method for several years.

suzanne March 29, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Add a box of instent pudding to the mix makes the cake realy moist.

Mary April 17, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I clicked on Homemade & Instructions thinking they were links to the recipes, not realizing that the suggested recipe is what follows:

Add one more egg
Add two more eggs for more richness
Use melted butter instead of oil
Does that mean follow the recipe on the back of the box except for the above steps and if so, do I include the egg already listed so 2 or 3 will be the amount of eggs? Sorry. A little hard to follow. Love your budget friendly ideas and have started following you on pinterest.

Cyndy April 19, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Ohhh, great idea, definitely doing this when I make a cake!