How to Make Teacup Candles

February 17, 2014

How to Make Teacup Candles

I think it is very easy to see that I have a new obsession with tea cups. There is nothing so nice as sipping tea while watching the “winter weather”

How to Make Teacup Candles

AND you all know about my obsession with candles – * cough cough * I have over 65 candles in my house. So it was only natural to make a craft where I put the two together ;)

How to Make Teacup Candles

I picked up a tea cup from a local antique store. When finding a tea cup make sure to look on the bottom – if it does not have a marking then you are good to go. If there is a marking make sure to google the name. I have tea cups ranging from 1880s to 1970s and they look somewhat similar but the value is not.

Another option is checking out goodwill or similar for inexpensive teacups. If you do not use a hot glue gun then you have more flexibility on the teacup you choose.

I did a lot of research on candle making kits and I picked this one up from Amazon

Get the kit HERE

How to Make Teacup Candles

Can you imagine giving this to your mom on Mother’s Day? I know I am :)

How to Make Teacup Candles I picked up a tag from a local gift wrap store – I thought it would be the perfect swap for a tea bag tag. I wrote “Light Me” but you can write whatever you want :)

I made a youtube video showing how to my the candle – I hope you check it out ( it is only 2 minutes long :) )

If you have not yet make sure to subscribe to Budget Savvy Diva on Youtube :)

how to make teacup candles2

I love the simplicity of the craft and how beautiful it is – I really hope you make it :)

If you have not checked out my other crafts I have tons :) Go HERE to check them out

Also comment if you would like more crafts like this :)

teacupcandle2

Love You and Enjoy!

Kristen S February 17, 2014 at 2:13 am

Love this, what do you mean when you say look at the bottom if it doesn’t have a marking you are good to go? Do you mean looking at the marking might show if it’s an antique or not?

Watson February 17, 2014 at 2:21 am

Yes. Cheaper tea cups most likely do not have a marking – this is the type you want to use. However if it has a marking you can search the name online and find similar teacups on ebay and find the value. You can use whatever type you like BUT because I used a hot glue gun on mine ( which made the wick stay in place) I made sure it was a tea cup of little value

Kristen S February 17, 2014 at 2:28 am

I see, thanks!

Lynette March 20, 2014 at 1:00 am

I absolutely LOVE candles! Naturally i’m going to be doing this also as a Christmas present this year!

Anne B March 20, 2014 at 1:33 am

Hi !
I am so glad to find you , 28 yrs ago I owned a craft shop back in the day when we made corn husk angels and sold them for a dollar , long story short ,got burn out, said I’d dig ditches before I did crafts, turned shop into floral shop , after 25 yrs in floral retired last year, now I am in love with crafts again !!!! I am a 71 yr old widow of 2 yrs and excited about life again ,a lot of it due to crafts.
As we say in south Louisiana Greaux craft diva!!!!!

kathy morris May 3, 2014 at 2:15 am

hio I live in La. also. I would love to find someone who would like to do crafts together once a week

jing teves rosales March 20, 2014 at 6:55 am

how do you make the wick?

Katie March 23, 2014 at 1:44 am

Instead of hot glue you can use Tacky Wa and wick holders. They’ll hold the wick in place and you can wash the wax out with really hot water to use the teacup again in the future. Soy wax works best for this because it has a lower melting point and can easily wash out with hot water and a grease cutting dish soap.

Mandy March 25, 2014 at 1:38 am

Is there a possibility of the cup breaking from the heat of the flame?

Ellen April 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I made these this year for Christmas. I used the bottom wax that would not burn from a couple of candles. All I needed to buy was the wicks. Super cute and super cheap.

Pat Good May 2, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Thanks so much for the how to video. I am so excited to make these. I love trying new things. Keep em coming!

Sara May 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Will Do :)

April May 3, 2014 at 12:33 am

This is a really neat idea thank you

Louise June 11, 2014 at 11:40 pm

I absolutely love this idea, I found on Pinterest. thanks

Melanie June 20, 2014 at 5:21 am

Beautiful teacup candle!! Great video!! Short, informative, and to the point. I picked up 3 teacups today at a second hand store. I didn’t have any idea what I was going to do with them….until I saw your video this evening. Thanks so much for sharing.

Sara June 20, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I am so glad you liked it :)

Jaclyn July 14, 2014 at 1:13 am

I can’t wait to try out this craft! It’s so cute and easy! I just have one question. What’s he best way to make the wax if you don’t have a double boiler pot like the one you had in the video?

Jaclyn July 14, 2014 at 1:15 am

I see that it comes with the candle making kit! No need to respond to my comment!