Crock Pot Cherry Cobbler

February 27, 2012

Pin It

If you like this recipe then PIN IT on Pinterest

Everyday at 5 pm PST/ 8 pm EST Budget Savvy Diva posts a NEW RECIPE :)

Make sure to follow Budget Savvy Diva on Facebook :)

Find Copy Cat Restaurant Recipes HERE

Find Crock Pot Recipes HERE

Find Gluten Free Recipes HERE

Find more Recipes HERE

I love using my crock pot the main reason being I can throw a bunch of ingredients in it and after a handful of hours I have a yummy meal :) Many people do not know that you can cook up some pretty amazing desserts in the crock pot as well and this Budget Savvy Diva is here to show you one of my favorites. It does not get much simpler then this recipe but it tastes like something that took a lot of effort ( do not worry the truth will be our little secret ;) ).

What You Need

1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling ( or ANY Fruit Filling you want )

1 package (18 1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter melted
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract

What To Do

Place Cherry Filling into your crock pot.

In a medium size bowl mix: cake mix, butter, and vanilla. It becomes like dough

Crumble the “cake mixture” over the cherry filling. I used about .5 of the cake mix so the ratio of cherry to cake would be more equal. It will not rise like a cake.

Sprinkle walnuts on top.

Cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours or HIGH  2 hours.

Enjoy :)

P.S Serve with Ice Cream ;)

To print out the recipe below – click the little printer icon.

Crock Pot Cherry Cobbler

: Dessert
: 8

Easiest Cherry Cobbler Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
  • 1 package (18¼ ounces) yellow cake mix
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter melted
  • ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
Instructions
  1. Place Cherry Filling into your crock pot.
  2. In a medium size bowl mix: cake mix, butter, and vanilla. It becomes like dough
  3. Crumble the "cake mixture" over the cherry filling. I used about ½ of the cake mix so the ratio of cherry to cake would be more equal. It will not rise like a cake.
  4. Sprinkle walnuts on top.
  5. Cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours or HIGH 2 hours.
  6. Enjoy :)

This recipe was adapted from Frugal Villages – Cherry Delight Recipe.

Other recipes you'll love:

Patty aka PJ February 27, 2012 at 1:46 am

This is a great idea for days when i am at a doctors office for hours and want a good warm dessert with my dinner. Since I have 2 crock pots, one older round one and a newer oval shaped one.
I make the same thing in the oven in a cake pan. It started out as a “Dump Cake” recipe and I have changed it to be more like cobbler, sometimes sprinkling sugar on top. That makes the top a more crusty and crunchy depending on how much butter and sugar you use. I have never measured anything. Just dump lol. Can’t wait to try this.
Thanks,
Patty

Frances February 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

This looks yummy! can’t wait to try it. I was wondering, do you think it would also work w/ other canned pie fillings such as apple, blueberry, etc?

Thanks for the recipe

Budget Savvy Diva February 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Any pie filling will work great :)

OcalaMom February 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm

This sounds so quick and easy, which is always a winner with me. I’m gonna give peach a try (cause that’s whats in my pantry right now), and use pecans instead of walnuts (pecans would go better with peaches, right?)….how’s that sound?

Budget Savvy Diva February 27, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Sounds great :) This works well with any fruit — They only thing to consider is what ratio do you want between the fruit and topping… I personally like when they are more equal which mean I use about 1/2 of the cake mixture.

Lori B. February 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Since my family don’t eat cherries, we always use apple pie filling w/o the walnuts. Mmm. I’ve also used apple carmel pie filling that I found at Ingles. That was good too.

Robbie March 20, 2012 at 3:07 am

What do you do with the other half of the batter/dough mixture? Can you freeze it?

janice strainer March 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I have cut the cake mix in half lots of times. When it is just you or two a full cake is two much. Just measure the whole box and see what half is. Besure to cut butter and others.

karen April 6, 2012 at 12:04 am

Or could you just add another can of pie filling and use the full box of cake mix?

Laura May 2, 2012 at 2:15 am

Have you tried doubling the pie filling and using all of the cake batter? I’m wondering how that would work.

Monica Young May 11, 2012 at 4:09 am

I tried it, but used two cans of pie filling (cherry) and used the entire box of cake mix and it turned out wonderfully EVERYONE gobbled it up. I plan on making it again.

Margaret Strickland August 16, 2012 at 12:08 am

The Cherry Cobbler was so easy and tastes GREAT. I also used 2 cans of cherry pie filling and watched the family enjoy. Thanks for the receipe. I have shared it with so many. Thanks again, I love your site.

Kim September 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Sounds delish! If I’m taking this to a potluck BBQ, would it transfer easily to a dish or do you think it would travel better in the crock pot? Thanks! GREAT idea!

Tammy December 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Any idea on how long this would take in the oven ?

Budget Savvy Diva December 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm

no sorry :(

Kim December 8, 2012 at 2:14 am

Mine’s been in the crock pot for 2 hours on high and is still kind of doughy, I turned it on low and will probably give it another hour. It’s not supposed to be doughy right?

Budget Savvy Diva December 8, 2012 at 3:12 am

nope

Jacki May 17, 2013 at 4:00 am

This will get rid of the built up odours and leave everything clean and smelling fresh.

That’s where desiccant dehumidification comes into the picture. However, installing a bathroom in a basement that hasn’t already been stubbed for
a bathroom can be very difficult and costly.

Julie June 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm

You do not follow the cake recipe as printed on the cake mix box, correct? Only use the dry cake mix with the butter and vanilla, right?

Watson June 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Yep!

Hly V February 21, 2014 at 5:19 am

yum!

Heather Thiel February 21, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Oh bet this would be good with blueberry pie filling too!

(commenting for Quick giveaway :)

Allie Talley March 14, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I’ve done this one with apple and it’s sooo good! Plus it makes the house smell AMAZING!

Sue Mitchell March 16, 2014 at 11:24 pm

So there are many versions. Peach with yellow cake, cherry with devil’s food, gingerbread with apples, All very good!!
Sue

Cathy November 25, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hi,

Trying for first time and sounds yummy. I have two questions , could I use pecans instead of walnuts? Also, what do you think of lightly roasting the nuts before using in receipt?