How to Fill Nail Holes

February 22, 2013

Other Great Tips!

How to Fill Nail Holes
Want to get rid of the holes caused by nails on the wall? Here’s an easy solution:
All you have to do is get a bar of white soap and scrub across the hole until it’s filled.
This is a great tip for when you’re moving out of a house and want the holes to be gone!

becca February 22, 2013 at 3:17 am

Someone at work showed me that if you bust a pencil and take the lead out you can use the splinters to fill in a hole. It’s a more permanent solution.

Ryan March 1, 2013 at 9:05 am

Matchsticks also work, maybe a bit easier too!

Emme February 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It is just as easy to buy a small container of joint compound and fill the hole properly. You cannot paint over soap. That would be a horrible mess to leave future tenants or owners.

Elaine B February 25, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Thank you! I moved into a house two years ago and after wiping done the kitchen I found people before had patched the walls with toothpaste… I wiped a few other places that looked like they had been patched and saw everything was patched with toothpaste. We get spackle from Home Depot for like $4.00 so it is not that hard to get it cheap or do it right. If you have white textured walls you may not even need to paint over, we never do and you can’t even tell.

Kari February 22, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I have heard that white toothpaste is effective.

Jana January 22, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Someone used toothpaste on all the corners of the house where the drywall was chipped off to sell the house rather than do a proper patch job. The dog came through and licked it all off when the new people moved in.

Maura Watson February 23, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Time and time again when we moved around in the Army I used toothpaste.
Works every time. No mess and permanent.

Jessica April 2, 2013 at 4:48 am

Not permanent. It’s essentially soap. Seriously, with how cheap joint compound is, why wouldn’t you just fill a hole the correct way?

Carrie July 14, 2013 at 7:07 am

Amen!

Susan February 24, 2013 at 4:52 am

Moving with the Air Force so much I learned to use straight pins to hang pics. They r very strong and the hole they leave behind is so minute u can’t see it from a foot away. Saves time and $ when u go to move out and only have to fill holes in for the super heavy stuff.

Ana Iris February 28, 2013 at 12:48 am

you can also use white toothpaste!

Nicki March 1, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Love this idea! I am making it one of my favorite pinterest pins for February on my blog this evening! Check it out!

That Girl Emma March 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Paintable caulk is a nice solution

Sandy March 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Hello. I just did a test run on this using a bar of Ivory and a bar of Dove. The Ivory seemed to work a bit better for me.
I live in an apartment now… When my lease is up or I decide to move out my only question is what Emme posed above; Will it be a horrible mess to paint over? I do have joint compound but I was curious to see the end result. I will use this method as it is quick and easy; considering my landlord will not have suds and a mess touching up paint…

meek April 1, 2013 at 6:41 am

Great tip.

Sheyla April 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks a bunch for this geat pin! I am starting a new blog and have featured your lovely idea on there. Check it out!

Wanda May 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for all the tips , I’m always getting something to high or to low having to get another hole

Brooklin May 26, 2013 at 2:40 pm

You can paint over the soap once it dries out. It becomes hard and chalky almost. It’s fine for little stuff

rachelle May 31, 2013 at 12:51 pm

i think it a good ideal thank you

Heather January 24, 2014 at 11:41 pm

I used toothpaste on my nail holes the other day… Let it dry and painted over it. Worked perfectly and sealed fine! :) after reading the comments I went and checked it out again. It’s solid! Toothpaste works perfectly!

Lani Harris January 30, 2014 at 5:02 pm

A friend, whose husband was in the Air Force, suggested this tip . They lived in base housing and moved A LOT. She said she used white tooth paste to fill nail holes. Apply, let dry, and apply more until the hole is all but invisible.

Debbie March 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Toothpicks also work great. you stick them in and break them off so they don’t stick out. Depending on the size of the whole you may want to do it a couple times. My dad was a contractor and this is how he taught me to do it when repainting my room. Plaster or caulk works great too.