How To Make Fabric Softener Sheet

Lemonade Kool-Aid as Dishwasher Cleaner

Use Aluminum Foil as Dryer Sheet

Use Shaving Cream To Clean Bathroom Mirror

Use Lemons To Make Soggy Lettuce Crisp

How To Restore A Sponge With Salt

DIY Fabric Softener Sheet

Pour one bottle of liquid fabric softener into a large container with lid.

Fill the empty softener container with water and add it to the container.

Repeat to give you a 2:1 mixture of water to fabric softener.

Drop sponges into the mixture.

Grab a sponge, wring out the excess liquid, and add it to the dryer with your wet clothes.

Seal your container between uses.

Kristen August 14, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I have not had good luck with a “wet” fabric softener in the dryer. I found that it left a residue/spots on my clothes. I have found that taking an old towel or rag & doing the same thing but letting the towels dry completely first has worked better for me. I am always up for challenges so I might just try this since it is watered down a little bit :)

Regi October 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I do something similar, only I let it completely dry before I throw it in. Saves a ton of money! Great idea!

bethlaf October 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm

i re use old dryer sheets with some room fragrance on them , and old washcloths too,

Ron November 21, 2012 at 1:18 am

I’ve heard wadding up an aluminum foil ball works. Any thoughts?

Tara May 6, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I have tried the wadded aluminum. And it works wonders!!! Makes clothing VERY soft.

Karen August 24, 2013 at 2:26 am

Wadded aluminum? Tara, can you explain what that is all about? Can you hand make this? Please reply to

Karen August 24, 2013 at 2:30 am

Tara, I’m sorry. I now see above the story on the foil sheets.

Dee January 26, 2014 at 1:35 am

Aluminum foil balls work inconsistently for me as a substitute for dryer sheets. Can’t figure out why. However, their use is documented in the book, Waste Not Want Not, and by Jeff Yeager, The Ultimate Cheapskate.

HeySonnie February 4, 2013 at 9:19 pm

You can get a bag of practice-quality tennis balls for cheap in the sporting goods aisle at Target, etc. Throw a couple of those in the dryer along with your wet clothes. They get rid of the static and – for people like me who are sensitive to scents – leave your clothes smelling like clean clothes.

Nikki February 12, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Does anyone know if this helps with static? I use fabric softener and dryer sheets and I still seem to have static. I’m tired of shocking myself every time I put jeans or my hoodies on…lol…any advice is appreciated! 😀

Jenni June 18, 2014 at 2:32 am

I use vinegar as fabric softener in my washer (put it where you normally put your fabric softener) and then I just either line dry or use in the dryer. I haven’t had any problems with static cling. I also make my own laundry soap. I have found that it has saved me so much money! They also sell dryer balls that come in a two pack at the Dollar General for around $5, I am going to try them! :)

polly plum June 29, 2015 at 1:18 am

How do you make laundry deterg.?I’ve been using vinegar in my washing machine and dish washer every week or so to get rid of mildew around the seal,
getting it at dollar tree- baking soda, too:)

Jill Frase June 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

To keep static away put a small stainless steel(not all pins are s.steel) on a seam inside your clothes. You won’t have static problems anymore. i do this on all my clothes that have nylon in them. It works!

Christina Garner November 1, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I have just always cut my dryer sheets into thirds and use them like that. It’s really easy to do and a box lasts me 3X as long!

robin March 1, 2014 at 12:50 am

I will have to try this!

donna March 1, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I love to save money! YES YES i do

Judy July 16, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I tear a fair amount of tinfoil!-(10-12″), form shape of baseball and throw in dryer. Lasts for many loads and NO static! I also put a shake of baking soda in wash to eliminate odor. and vinegar for whiter clothes and brighter colors.

polly plum June 29, 2015 at 1:13 am

Do you reuse the foil balls? if so, how many washes?I’ll try it, but it doesn’t make sense to me:/

Beetle_Annie July 30, 2014 at 7:28 am

I have found that the cheapest fabric softner yet is half a cup of vinegar to the last rinse cycle. The clothes will still smell of the washing powder and not the vinegar and my clothes have never been so soft!

Valerie November 24, 2014 at 3:24 am

I used to use fabric softener dabbed inside an old sock, didn’t work very well. Then I read the tip about soaking a washcloth in fabric softener and LETTING IT DRY, then tossing it in the dryer. WORKED LIKE A DREAM! Has worked in several dryer loads so far without having to redo it.

polly plum June 29, 2015 at 1:21 am

are you talking about the instructions to put sponges into a container with liquid fab. soft. and water? do you keep[ yours in the fridge before throwing the washcloth into the dryer?I heard to do that so the container doesn’t build up mold.

Kendra October 28, 2015 at 5:58 am

I’ve been using this method for probably a couple years now and it works great. I don’t use an entire bottle of softner when I make mine tho. I use a large yogurt container that I washed out and just stick to the 2 to 1 ratio when I make more. I actually just use the fabric softner bottle cap as my measuring device. I’ve been using the same container and sponges (I cut my sponges in half and just use 1 half per load) and I’ve had no problems with mold at all. And my container stays sitting next to my washer in the basement. Hope this helps.

janet December 26, 2014 at 6:45 pm

We have used the dryer balls but they all too soon separated. Continued to use each half in the dryer, then went to tennis ball which broke the glass in the dryer door. Be careful. Expensive!