How To Remove Grease and Oil Stains on Clothing

August 22, 2012

Other Great Tips!

How to Laminate Anything with an Iron

How to Remove Rust Spots on Knives

How to Make Your Razor Last Longer

Use Mayonnaise to Remove Water Marks on Wood

No more buying expensive stain pre-treaters! Grab some white chalk to remove oil and grease spots on your clothes!

• Rub white chalk directly on the grease or oil mark
  • The chalk will absorb the grease
  • Wash your clothes like normal
  • TIP: If the stain didn’t come out all the way, let fabric air dry and repeat above (before placing item in the dryer. Dryers set stains) ;)

Nichol August 25, 2012 at 3:15 am

Is this only for cooking oil & grease or does it work on work clothes too? My hubs is a mechanic… course his stuff has been wash various times but I was thinking of the new stains…. maybe it could work? Thx

Rebecca Mrazik January 31, 2013 at 9:21 pm

My husband is a train engineer and works at home in the garage all of te time..if he gets any grease or grime on him I mix warm water and Dawn dish detergent and pour onto spots then rub the fabrics together…this usually takes out at least 85-95% of his stains!!!

Janet Breton July 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm

This works for me: wet your fabric, then rub it with a bar of Fels Naptha soap (I get it at Walmart). Then I spray it with Zout and wash as usual. If you have some really tough grease stains, after you use the Fels Naptha, pour on some Lestoil and rub it in, then spray with Zout. my son was in Americorp for a year. They were given brand new thick sweatshirt hoodies. The first day he wore it, one of his friends borrowed it and got black chain saw grease all over it. He knew that I love a laundry challenge, so he brought it home one weekend. It took about 10 treatments as I described, and 10 trips through the washer, but when he left, he had what once again looked like a brand new sweatshirt. He and his friends couldn’t believe it!

Janet hudson August 30, 2012 at 1:04 am

I want to know how to get set in grease and oil out. Ruined a new shirt the first day of school.

Ellen November 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Dawn gets out grease out of clothing, that nothing else will!

Leslie June 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Be Sure to dilute the Dawn. When I first thought of this I poured it directly on the stain. It took out some of the color. Now I dilute it 1 part dawn to 2 parts water. Nothing better!

BitsyBet July 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Even Ivory dishwashing liquid will take out grease, even after it’s been through the dryer. I’ve used it on colors and never had a problem with it bleaching the spot.

Ashley September 16, 2012 at 12:21 am

My grandma always used Lestoil. It smells kind of bad, and it seems like you are putting oil on an oil stain but it works to remove oil.

Jill September 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Just a little liquid Dawn dish soap works great, too, it also works for set in grease stains like salad dressing

Chrissy September 24, 2012 at 12:31 am

Baby powder is awesome for getting rid of oil spots on clothes. I use this all the time because I always seem to splatter oil on myself when I cook. (Olive oil, bacon grease, etc.) Just sprinkle baby powder on the spot and rub it in. You’ll notice that it is attracted to the oil but easily brushes off the part that isn’t oily. Then wash and dry as normal. Works on spots that have already gone through the dryer too. I’ve saved several shirts this way. Try it and see when you think.

Stef September 21, 2013 at 8:39 pm

How can baby powder take out oil when it has oil in it? Just wondering.

Kear November 2, 2013 at 4:43 am

Like dissolves like! When you have painted nails, you can take it off by painting it over and wiping it off while it’s still wet… It’s the same concept.

Samalita September 25, 2012 at 12:16 am

Place your clothes in the washer. Pour Coke over them and let soak. Wash normally and the Coke should take out all of your grease stains!

Angela October 8, 2012 at 3:46 am

Dawn dish washing liquid works wonders for getting new and OLD oil stains out….the blue kind works best….

Andrea October 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I am a big fan of Dawn Dish soap for oil and grease stains. It even works if you wash you clothes and dry them and then find the stain! Food oil stains and auto grease..always the original blue

Shane October 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Dawn dish liquid does the trick too! Just lightly rub it on the oil stain from both inside & out, then wash it like normal. Pure awesome!

akanana December 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I use baby powder instead of chalk. Works great.

Cleaner Jobs December 10, 2012 at 7:09 am

great! short and simple tips

Tara December 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm

If the oil stain is already set from going through the dryer, try rubbing Murphy’s Oil Soap on the stain & re-wash. I can’t tell you the number of stains I’ve been able to remove & the amount of clothes I’ve been able to save by using it. It has been my ‘go-to’ stain remover for years.

korie January 18, 2013 at 12:33 am

Try adding a small about of Lysol to your load of laundry. My husband is a cook in a kitchen. Its best thing i have ever tried

korie January 18, 2013 at 3:01 am

I mean PINESOL. SORRY. I wasn’t paying attention To what I originally put

Lisa January 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Oil removes oil. Spray cooking oil or Wd40 on a set-in oil stain and rub it in. Then wash as normal.

Janell February 6, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Isnt that crazy? Wonder why one oil will remove another and then BOTH will be gone! Any chemists out there want to explain?

Barbara June 12, 2013 at 6:01 am

You are putting oil on an oil stain. That is why it works. My dad was a Dry Cleaner and a spotter. He said if the material has any polyester in it y had to treat it with an oil based cleaner. He used Bananna Oil. Loved the smell of it. Learned a lot from him. He had quite a mixture of things he used. NEVER let a stain sit. It can set it. Tear ASAP…..

I use lest oil too. But Dawn works well too.

Barb

jen riggs April 1, 2013 at 5:02 pm

any kind of powder dish washing machine detrgnt,plus peroxide gets any stain out

Angie April 16, 2013 at 11:27 am

I use regular blue Dawn dish soap on grease stains. It has even worked on clothes that had been dried in the dryer. I put the Dawn directly on the stain, wadded the article of clothing up, and put in the hamper until I did the next load (2-3 days). To my surprise, it took the stains out! I have only tried this so far on cotton fabrics, as most of our stains are on our shirts.

Daisey Acosta April 28, 2013 at 12:06 am

Fight grease with grease
Pinesol will work everytime

Oksana June 28, 2013 at 2:53 am

Grease and Grime comes out perfecty with “Go Jo”. I rub it on and let it sit for a while before throwing it in the washer.

jusha August 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I never remember to check for stains like oil or grease. So I usually wash it without putting anything on it. And then I dry it. Obviously see the stain when I fold it. I used to be mad I ruined my clothes. That’s until I found out about this super awesome way to get rid of any of those stains even old, washed and dried many times. I spray the Resolve on the stain and sprinkle some Oxi clean and spray a bit more again. leave it for like an hour or two. Wash it afterwards. It works wonders and takes everything off. Never ever had a problem with discoloration or ruining the piece. Hope this helps.

Karla September 14, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Would this work on leather?? Spilled some salad oil on a new black leather skirt!

Kathie November 1, 2013 at 8:33 pm

My husband put his leather coat in the overhead baggage and someone else put something that leaked oil or lotion. Our dry cleaning service sent it out to a specialist. I also have a cousin who restores leather furniture. He told me he uses diluted Ivory Dish Soap. I tried it on a white leather sofa and it got it really looking almost new. I wasn’t brave enough to try it on my hubbies coat.

Dalene December 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I got baby oil on an area ru; suggestions?

Dalene December 1, 2013 at 6:17 pm

“Area rug”

beth campbell February 14, 2014 at 3:20 am

i use the dawn direct foam on my clothes to get out stains , grease or oil .. also if it’s a small oil spot on dark clothes you can dust with baby powder then use an old toothbrush or small bristled brush to brush away the excess .. the babypowder trick is used in clothing factories .. i worked at arrow shirt shop for years and that’s what they used when the machine oil leaked onto the fabric . hope this helps someone

Saabi March 1, 2014 at 2:30 am

It works for me .. Yay

Melissa March 1, 2014 at 2:32 am

Pick me…..

SHARON B March 1, 2014 at 3:43 am

so many ideas! what to try first…

donna March 1, 2014 at 6:58 am

does this work really good? I would be concerend on dark colors

Juliet VanKampen March 1, 2014 at 12:57 pm

OMG! I have to try this one! I have a lot of clothes with small oil stains and regular washing doesn’t work. I hate to ruin an almost new shirt with spilled cooking oil.
Thanks for the tip!

Cynthia Sawyer March 1, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I have always used Lestoil to remove grease stains from clothing and it works wonderfully but smells awful. I am considering this chalk trick as I would love an odor free alternative.

CHERYL MCLEOD March 1, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I will have to try this. I recently tried using peroxide in the wash to whiten and that worked great.

Mary April 12, 2014 at 2:01 am

Did you know that OxyClean is really just powdered hydrogen peroxide? That’s why bottled peroxide works too.

Shannon June 19, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Do you know how to get gum out of clothing that has already been washed and dried?